Chapter 23

Ariel's POV:

"Yes, I really do."

Louis' defiant answer made me gasp in fear. He couldn't possibly want to fight his father!!! No, that's just not right!

His father chuckled darkly and glared at Louis. "Saturday night, I'll meet you in that abandoned boxing arena downtown. The fight starts at 7, don't be late. If you are...I get to take home a prize." He says sickly, giving me a nasty grin.

I whimper, hanging on to his mother's arm for dear life. Louis mutters something to his father and shoves him outside before slamming the door in his face.

Louis turned to us with blazing eyes and I couldn't help but take a step back at it. He actually scared me. I tried not to think about his threatening demeanor but it's so obvious.

Even when we first met, he would always have this dark side that scared me. And it's making it's appearance again.

Louis' eyes softened as he saw the fear in our eyes and he frowned. "Don't be afraid. He won't get you." He whispers gently, opening his arms for us.

Tears gather in my eyes and I run into his arms, holding him tightly to me. I didn't want him to fight. He could get severely injured.

He wrapped his arms around me and held me there, sighing heavily. "Ariel, look at me please." He begs and I slowly look up towards his face, seeing the desperation on his face.

"Please tell me you aren't afraid of me." He pleads and I open my mouth to answer but I can't.

His eyes flash in pain and he clings to me tighter. "No, please don't be afraid. I won't hurt you. I would never hurt you Ariel. I promise." He says and a tear slips down my face.

"I'm not afraid." I whisper, making his head snap up to meet my eyes. "Really?" He asks hopefully, searching my eyes for any fake statements.

"Really." I answer surely and he sighs in relief. His mother finally joined in on the hug and we stood there for a while, hugging each other trying to forget what just happened.

I guess I wasn't truly afraid of him, I was just afraid of what he could do. I was actually really fragile, no matter how much I wanted to deny it.

But Louis has practically bulldozed my exterior personality because he saw through me, he saw the real me. The fragile, scared little girl. And he knew me.

That was terrifying, but what made it worse is that he has woven his way into my heart and I don't know how or why but I care deeply for him.

More than I want to admit. Because I never had feelings for a guy. To me, guys were horrible people who only caused pain.

But Louis was changing my mind, and it took just now to realize how much Louis meant to me.

Even with his threatening persona, the sweet, lovable side of him is what stands out. It's what I fell for. And I don't want him getting hurt or falling back into what his past made him.

"Louis..." I start and we all pull away while he stares at me with guarded eyes. "Yes?" He asks and I sigh.

"I don't want you to fight." I say and he stiffens. "Ariel, I have too." He says and I shake my head, tears filling my eyes again.

"No you don't!!! He wanted you to agree to that! I could see it in his eyes, he's playing you! You can't do this!" I yell and he looks at me in shock.

"Ariel...I'm sorry, but I'm going to fight him." He says and I look down, my body trembling as I fought to keep my tears from falling.

"I can't watch you get hurt." I whisper before opening the door and running across his lawn towards my house.

"Ariel wait!!" He yelled desperately but I ignored him.

I wouldn't be able to handle seeing him get injured.

I opened up my door and ran inside before slamming it shut behind me.

As I got inside, I sank to me knees and let out a scream. Tears fell down my face as images of Louis bloody and beaten haunted my mind.

Louis' POV:

I watched as Ariel slammed the door to her house before I fell to my knees and angrily punched the ground.

It's all because of my father. That bastard always screwed things up for me.

My mom gently touched my shoulder and I huffed. "What?" I snapped and she flinched away from me. I sighed, standing up and giving her an apologetic look.

"I'm sorry, it's just..." I start but she holds her hand up to me, cutting me off. "It's alright Louis, I understand. Go." She says and points to Ariel's house.

I smile down at my mom and give her a quick kiss on the cheek before I take off to Ariel's house.

I open the door, not even bothering to knock and my heart clenches at the sight of Ariel.

She's on her knees crying her eyes out.

"Ariel?" I ask quietly and she looks up at me in sadness. "Louis..." She drifts off, biting her lip to keep from crying even more.

I go over to her and kneel beside her, taking her in my arms. "I don't want you to fight. I don't want you to get hurt." She cries and I frown.

"Baby, I won't get hurt." I soothe and she shakes her head. "I can't stand the thought of you fighting again Louis." She says, the way she said 'again' made my mouth fall open.

She thinks the old me will come back if I fight again.

"Babe, I'm not going to change. I'm still me." I say, lifting her chin up with one finger so she looks at me.

"It'll just be this one fight. I'm not backing out." I say softly yet determinedly and she sighs. "Okay...I still don't want you too." She says and I nod.

"As long as you're there to support me, you have nothing to worry about." I say seriously and she smiles. A true smile.

One that I love on her.

"Ariel?" I ask and she tilts her head to the side. "Yes?" She says and I smile.

"I love it when you smile." I say and she blushes, her eyes looking towards the ground.

"I-I love it when you smile too." She stutters and a grin forms on my face. "Really?" I ask and she nods her head.

"Aww, you're so sweet." I coo, hoping my teasing would cheer her up. "Sh-shut up!!" She mutters with a blush on her cheeks and I laugh.

Mission accomplished.

"How about this? It's only two now, let's watch a few movies for tonight, since we have school in the morning." I suggest and she nods with a small smile.

I pick her up and swing her around, making her giggle as I brought her to the couch. I gently placed her on the couch like I had last night and picked out a movie.

I sat down next to her and she cuddled up next to me. I wrapped an arm around her protectively and she sighs.

"Louis?" she asks and I look down at her.

"Yes?" I ask and she looks at me with her big green eyes. "Promise me something." She says and I nod, looking at her while she finished her sentence.

"Promise me you won't get hurt." She says in all seriousness and I lean down, kissing her lips gently before pulling away and looking her right in the eye.

"I promise."