Chapter 48: Morning conversations and morning silences

^^^ this was the first thing that came up when I googled Thomas so...

Harry knew he woke up to the silent house as the early hours of the day crept into his room. He also knew the chance of his being able to go back to a lukewarm meadow of his dream was nearly impossible and he sat up. The silence was almost frustrating as he got up and stretched- the bed was smaller than he remembered it to be and his last night's sleep was just good- he had better nights.

He drew the heavy curtains away from the window to reveal a fuscous blue dawn dragging across the land. He put on some slippers and grabbed a housecoat that was hanging by the glass, balcony doors. As he stepped outside, the mocking wind swirled around him and tangled in his black hair, tugging on his housecoat and biting his cheeks.

It was cold.

Bitterly cold and humid which was such an enchanting combination because even though the cold was burning on Harry's skin he couldn't help but admire the beauty of the scene in front of him. With frost settling on every surface and ice crystals shining on the naked branches of the trees before him. He gazed into the distance and saw the low fog that clung, hiding the homes at the top of the street. Distant birds made the morning silence, that seemed so loud right now when he was standing alone on that balcony without any fence, more bearable.

He went back inside and threw on his old Weasley sweater and some fuzzy socks Dobby had gotten him ages ago before the war started and ruined everything Harry got. It took him few minutes before he found what he was looking for in his suitcase but when the Neverending story was in his hand he grabbed two pillows from the bed and got out to the cold balcony again. A soft sigh escaped his lips when he sat on the pillow and opened the page he last stopped on.

He was somewhere in the middle of the story and the worlds were constantly intertwining by now. He was a slow reader and he knew that very well but sometimes he wondered why would that be such a problem. Yes, it took him a couple of months to read this far but that was because he didn't want to read it when he wasn't sure he had all the time that day to actually sink into the paper pages of this fantasy. And one more thing, he didn't want to hurry with reading it because he liked it. He fell in love with this boy who had to save the world without anyone asking him what he wanted. Not that he would ever admit to Draco that he was right and when his boyfriend finally asks him about it, Harry would say that it was just fine.

That didn't mean that Harry believed that Draco believed it, though... Harry Potter knew that Draco knew since that day in the Manor that Harry fell in love with these words but Harry also knew that Draco won't tease him about it or tell him that he's lying about the book being just fine. Harry knew that Draco would just smile and maybe whisper: "I thought so..." before kissing him hard and forgetting about the book.

The sun was already wrapping over the sky, colouring the clouds when an opening of another balcony door disturbed the silence Harry had found comfort in. Since he shared this unfinished balcony with one room, he knew it could be only one person and he wished her good morning.

Geira wore a beige cardigan that didn't hide her thin figure as she wrapped it as close as she could. It was loose on her shoulders and almost slipping down her arms because her hands were holding two steaming cups so they couldn't keep the cloth from falling down. She didn't say anything but sat down next to Harry with a soft smile on her lips and offered him a cup of what he assumed was coffee.

"Don't worry," she laughed when he hesitantly brought the cup to his lips. "It's not poisoned, I swear."

Harry took a sip of the bitter liquid and let himself enjoy the taste and the warmth that filled him from inside out. The heat from the cup was making his fingers warm again after almost an hour of freezing in the cold of the balcony. Geira placed her cup on the ground and readjusted her seating position before looking and him with an answer: "Are you freezing this early in the morning?"