I sigh.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" He asked.

I look into his brown orbs.

"Yes." I reply.

He smiled.

"Now go to class before you get us in trouble." I say, looking for any signs of authority.

He nodded and proceeded back to class. I reached my classroom. Before I opened the door, I took a look at the baseball tryouts paper. It said that whoever tried out yesterday has to be in the gym after school to find out who made the team.

Is it weird that I'm nervous? I mean, I was nervous when I tried out for the Black Knights.

What if I didn't make the team?

*****

"So uh...Dylan asked me out earlier." I say, biting into my sandwich.

"And you said?" Carson asked.

"I said yes." I say.

"Good. Anything else?" She said.

"We're gonna find out who made the team later." I say.

"Are you scared?" She asked.

"Shitless." I say, feeling nervousness wash over me.

"With your great athletic skill, you better make the team. Remember, I was there yesterday. If you need me to, I can pull some strings." She said.

I giggle.

"No Carson. If I don't make it, I'll be okay. I'll just try out for something else." I say.

"Yeah no bitch, you're making the team." She said.

I smile.

"Anything from Danny lately?" I ask.

"More selfies of him and Grace. Videos of him warming up for baseball season, etc." She said.

"Is he trying out for his school team?" I ask.

"Of course. His tryouts aren't until tomorrow." She said.

"Oh okay." I say.

She gave me her phone again, showing me their Snapchat conversation.

Cars Son 😜
Trying out for Varsity Baseball?

Danny ⚾️
Of course. Baseball is life.

Cars Son 😜
Lol okay then.

Danny ⚾️
Did your school have tryouts yet?

Cars Son 😜
Yup. Mia tried out.

Danny ⚾️
Did she make it?

Cars Son 😜
We don't know yet.

Danny ⚾️
Oh okay. Well, tell her I said good luck.

Cars Son 😜
Definitely ☺️.

And the conversation just went on from there. I hand her back the phone.

"Eh." I say.

"Shush." She said.

I giggle.

*****

"Alright, I have the results of who made the team, right here in my hands." Coach Easton said, smacking the rolled up white paper into his left hand.

I gulped, waiting.

"Since we have 7 players already, I'm going to call out 13 more. Those are the ones who made the team. And that'll also complete the roster for this season." He explained.

Everyone nodded as he opened the paper. He cleared his throat as he began reading the names.

"Matthew Freeman, Gerald Green, Peter Harolds, Taylor Ross, Brenden Lynch, Jacob Marsh, Nicholas Walker, Henry Goulding, Damian Sanders, David Schneider, Raegan Reynolds, Christopher Jacobson..." By then I had already zoned out.

What he said next, totally caught me off guard.

"And lastly, Mia Curry." He said.

The other guys looked at each other confused. I gave a dead smile on the outside, but on the inside I was jumping for joy.

"Coach, are you sure about this?" Bradley tried to mumble.

"She's our only hope at maintaining 1st place. You saw how she pitched yesterday, she's our secret weapon." Coach defended.

I sat there, pretending to not hear a thing. But I heard everything. Bradley wasn't okay with the idea, same goes for some of the other guys.

I quietly walk over to Coach Easton and Bradley. Bradley looked at me and rolled his eyes.

"Bradley's right. It doesn't look right to have a girl on the team. Give the spot to someone else please." I say, turning to walk away.

I was about a foot away from the field exit before coach stopped me.

"No. Either Bradley deals with it, or he loses his spot on the team. His choice." Coach threatened.

"Coach you can't do that. I'm the best player on this team." Bradley protested.

"You sure about that? Because I just selected 13 more players who have just as much skill as you." Coach said.

Bradley huffed, walking away.

"That's what I thought." Coach said, making his way toward me.

I stood there, unmoving. He placed his hands on my shoulders.

"Welcome to the team short stuff." He said, smiling.

I smile back.

"Did you get your physical done?" He asked.

"Yup. Earlier this morning." I say.

"Good then, you're all set." He said.

I smile.

"Once again, welcome to the team. I hope you're ready to wear that Wolves jersey with pride." He said.

"I've been ready since I stepped foot on this field." I say.

He grins. I grin back.

I got your back coach.