21.

The families in the media.

Mia's P.O.V

I have a game today against the Cardinals, on our home field. After the events of yesterday, I was more focused on playing my game. Doing the best I can.

All star game is only 4 weeks away, and I have to be prepared for it. I literally don't need anymore distractions.

But that all changed once I saw Mark, Stacey, Matthew, Jason and Kaitlyn entering the bleachers, taking a seat next to Steph and everyone else (Sydel, Seth, Sonya, Dell, Ryan, Elizabeth, and Carson).

I look over at Alex and KJ, who both shrug and continue throwing to one another.

"Warm up pitches. Let's go Hazel." Sam said.

I nodded. He tossed me a ball and I caught it, barehanded. William got down in his position, showing me the target. I nod and set up to throw the pitch.

Straight fire right into his glove. The smack of the ball in his glove gaining the attention of the opposing team and some of the parents/fans in the stands. The shock was clear on their faces.

The ball was thrown back to me. I set up for another nice pitch. Upon reaching the William, he gave a thumbs up.

This is just the warm up 😏.

*****

I pitched a nice ball down the middle. It came right back to me as a line drive. Catching it without flinching, I got the 3rd out. Which means it's time to switch.

I left the ball on the mound as I walked toward the dugout. I earned high fives from all of my teammates as I made my way to an empty spot on the bench.

I watched as the Cardinals did their warmup as the catcher got his equipment on. William got himself ready to bat, along with Damian and Hunter.

I chewed on my gum as I watched, intrigued by what was happening on the field. I was going to bat soon, after Hunter, Braydon and Matthew.

This game was going to be easier than expected.

*****

After the game, I met Steph and them by the bleachers. The first thing Ryan did was pick me up and spin me around, kissing my cheek repeatedly. I remained stiff in his embrace, refraining myself from smiling.

He put me down and I hugged Carson.

"Baby girl pitched a no-hitter. A legend in the making." Steph announced, hugging me.

I smile into his shirt. We pull away and I hug the others. I turned to face Mark and the rest of their family.

"Wow Mia, that was awesome. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before." Jason announced, giving me a high five.

"Thanks Jay." I mumble, loud enough for him to hear.

Matthew gave me a head nod as Kaitlyn hugged me. Stacey wiped away visible tears as Mark applauded me.

"That was beautiful Mia." Mark complimented.

"Thanks." I mumble.

Steph grabbed my baseball bag. As we were all walking to the parking lot, a familiar voice stopped me.

"Hey Mia." They said.

I turned around to see Daniel and his squad behind him. I signal the others to keep going. Carson stood beside me.

"Hi." I say, bitterly.

"How are you?" He asked.

"Why are you here?" I say, getting to the point.

"I asked my question first." He replied, smirking slightly.

"And I asked one too. I expect an answer." I say.

"I came to watch and support you..." He trailed off.

"You shouldn't have been here." I say.

"Mia, if this is about the game from last week, I told you, I'm sorry." He said.

"Mhm. You should uh...start leaving. I think some Black Knight fans are beginning to eyeball you guys pretty hard. I think they recognize faces." I say.

"Come on Mia, don't be like this please." He pleaded, walking closer to me.

"I didn't ask for this." I say.

He stared at me for a while, speechless.

"So this is how it's going to be?" He asked.

I nodded, automatically regretting to do so. He looked away from me.

"Okay, see you on the field then." He said.

As him and his teammates/squad began walking away, he bumped my shoulder harshly, making sure I felt the impact. The rest of them walked past me with a mean mug.

Carson was ready to attack, but I stopped her.

"It's not worth it Carson. He'll get over it eventually. Let's go." I say.

She followed behind me to Steph's car. We got in and headed to dinner with everyone.

*****

"Who can tell me the square root of 16?" Mr. McKane asked the class.

I was zoning in and out of what he was saying as he talked. I was tired and bored as hell.

After a couple minutes of silence, he realized no one wanted to answer.

"Okay, nobody? Alright then. I'll start picking on people. Grace, can you tell me?" He said.

"2." She guessed.

The class snickered. She shrugged as he gave her a face of disappointment.

"No Grace, it's not 2. Daniel?" He called.

"4." Daniel replied.

"Yes sir. The square root of 16 is 4." Mr. McKane replied, writing it on the board.

I caught Grace turn around and glare at Daniel. He shook his head at her, ignoring her glare. She caught my eyes and I quickly looked down.

After another 40 minutes, we were able to leave the class. Upon hearing the bell, everyone was in a rush to leave. Not really paying attention to the Homework assigned.

"Page 134 in your math books. See you Monday." He said.

I walked out of the class and headed straight for my locker. I grabbed the handle, completely oblivious to the honey all over my locker.

"Who would...?" I trailed off, turning around to face the crowded hallway.

On the opposite side of me, Grace stood there smirking. Then she went to catch up with her minions. I took a deep calming breath and proceeded to open my locker. Which I now regret because I'm covered in feathers.

I whimpered at the thought of my baseball equipment getting messed up. Only to find that it's not in there.

"No. No no no no no. Where's my stuff?" I exclaimed.

I frantically search my locker, only to come in contact with my Science textbook and Social Studies work book. I heard kids in the hall laughing, but I avoided it.

I wanted to find my baseball stuff and get these feathers off of me. I slammed my locker shut and headed for the bathroom.

I patiently removed each feather, one by one. Each one that was in my hair and on my uniform in general. I silently cried, thinking about who did this and why.

After a few minutes, I exited the bathroom. Just when the bell had rung, the late bell that is. I ran as quick as I could to get to English.

Showing up 5 minutes late was not my intention. But after being covered in feathers and finding out that your baseball equipment is missing, you can't do anything about it.

I sat in the back of the class, going unnoticed by many. I slouched in my seat, waiting for the lesson to start.

I hate this.