Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

My eyes were glued to his green ones and slowly assessed his stubbled jaw, his jawline and then his body.

He was standing infront of me.

As a whole person.

I took a double take of his posture and blinked, resisting the urge to pinch myself to check if I was dreaming. A warm feeling erupted in my chest when his lips pulled up into a smirk. Those perfect lips.

My mouth was wide open and I didn't need to describe what fool I thought I looked right then.

"Trevor...?" I whispered.

His eyes held a glint like he had won something as he seemed satisfied with my conduct. "Surprised? Or should I say disappointed? What is the matter, Leah?"

I couldn't fathom his words at the moment but as soon as my senses resurfaced upon hearing my name from his mouth, I found myself running to him. I didn't give him any time when I wrapped my arms around him and buried my face in his chest.

I breathed in his intoxicating scent, the one I thought I would never have around me again. Tears pooled in my eyes and I let them soak his loose white linen shirt.

Trevor was alive.

Taking in a deep breath, I tightened my hold around him and I didn't care if I had taken him by surprise or was making him uncomfortable.

His arms slowly wrapped around my waist, almost as if he was testing me but when I didn't make any move, he wrapped them firmly around me.

I sighed in relief. I wasn't dreaming.

My breaths turned into muffled sobs and I placed my hand on his chest firmly, moving it up to his shoulders. He flinched and I withdrew my hand, stepping back almost immediately.

His eyes were sharp as he narrowed them but his gaze didn't startle me. My hands reached for his shirt buttons and I looked up into his eyes, which seemed to be assessing me incredulously.

I slowly unbuttoned his shirt as he inhaled sharply. His chest revealed but I didn't linger my eyes there, instead I slipped his shirt down from his right shoulder. My breath hitched at the sight I had been anticipating.

It was wrapped up in bandage, with little blood soaking through it. He should change it.

Tears pooled in my eyes, partly because I had hurt him but mainly because I was happy. Happy to see him alive.

"I'm sorry," I murmured under my breath.

Silence continued for a long moment before he finally opened his mouth to speak.

"Are you, really?" He snapped and I was taken aback.

I couldn't form words for a moment as I just stared blankly at him. Finally, I cleared my throat but my voice was still hoarse.

"It was an accident,"

He narrowed his eyes at me and I found the reality hitting me.

"You think I meant to shoot you?" I couldn't keep the hurt away from my voice.

He looked away, his lips pressed into a thin line.

My jaw dropped. "You have no idea how miserable I was for the past two days. I couldn't sleep, eat or do anything at all. For what I had done to you, I wanted to kill mys-"

I was cut off when his sharp gaze met mine again and he took a step in my direction. I shifted backwards, my back touching the tree as he caged me in with his arms by my side.