Chapter Five

Chapter Five

I entered the apartment, the smile not leaving my face at the thought of having a job. I checked my watch. It was 5 p.m. I had another hour before Trevor would come back and ignore me. Sighing, I went to the kitchen to get a glass of water and came back to the living room to collapse on the couch.

The smell of aftershave and an alluring cologne reached my nose as I looked down at the couch. Wow, it smells so good. I ran my hands over the couch but suddenly stopped, my eyes growing wide. What the hell am I doing?

Slowly, I got up from the couch and stood at a distance, just staring at it. Wanting to clear my head, I decided to take a walk in the fresh air and walked out of the building. I just walked blankly on the curb, not knowing where I should go. The path where I was leading seemed familiar as I kept walking towards the place where Patrick and James found me. Maybe I was too tired to see anything that day. Maybe I will see the boundaries today!

It was a long walk to that place from the apartment and I wasn't sure if I knew the way back. Turning one last corner, I reached a very isolated road, covered by thick vegetation on both the sides.

I walked over to the same tree and touched it. Looking behind it, I tried to look for the magical sparkle of the boundaries, but there was none. If only I could reach my Mom!

Maybe I did block the boundaries forever. For all I know, the whole Epitoria could be hating me right now. Or worse, they could be blaming Kathy and Matt to take me there. Or probably they could be blaming my parents. A tear rolled down my cheek at the mere thought as I walked a little further into the woods, hoping that I would see it somewhere.

A thought suddenly hit me. Why wouldn't the people of this land be crossing the boundaries before if they were visible so easily? The boundaries should have been sparkling right here before I blocked them? How come nobody knows about them? Or they do? My eyes grew wide. What if everyone knows about our world just like we knew about theirs? Yet no one was talking about the boundaries disappearing? I have to ask someone!

A hand landed on my shoulder and I let out a scream in surprise as I turned around to face the person.

"Aaron? What are you doing here?" I asked in surprise.

"What are you doing here?"

"I asked first," I said involuntarily and realized how childish I sounded. Sighing, I spoke before he could. "I just came out for a walk," I lied.

"A walk? In the woods? Those places are dangerous for pretty little girls like you," He said with a smirk while I rolled my eyes.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him.

"I was just passing by the road and saw you. Thought I should stop when I saw you walking towards the woods," He said.

"Oh," Maybe I can ask him. "Can I ask you something?"

He deadpanned for a second before his eyes grew wide. "I know I know. Yes we can go out. I was about to ask you but you beat me to-"

"What?"

His eyes grew wide again. "You were going to ask me for a date....right?"

I pressed my lips into a thin line as I suppressed my laugh. "Sorry but no Aaron. I waned to ask you about something el- Oh wait. You said you were about to ask me,"

His hand went up to his neck as he scratched the back of it awkwardly. "Will you?"

"What?"

"Go out on a date with me?" He asked. I took in a long breath as I thought what I should say. He was a nice guy, plus he had been so kind to me while giving me the job. But, what if the other people at coffeeshop think I got the job because I was going out with him? I opened my mouth to decline politely but he beat me to it.