Chapter 7: 9.12.4: Sharp Teeth

Start from the beginning

"I am Libby, Sam."

"No, you're not. You know who you are, Eliza?" Sam asked, looking up from Garth's chains. Eliza gulped, scared to hear what Sam thought of her. "You're Lucifer's daughter. You're the one who's going to continue his plan to bring Hell on Earth. You're the one who's going to wipe out Humanity and ruin the world. You're the one that's going to bring an end to everything that's good. You're just like him." Eliza recoiled at his words, pressing her lips into a thin line. She didn't have a comeback. She couldn't think of anything to say to defend herself against him because he was right. She was the one who would end the world.

"Sam..."

"Come on, Dean. Let's get Garth and Bess out of here," Sam said, never looking away from Hell's Archangel. She watched as the two werewolves and the two Hunters left the barn, leaving her with two dead bodies bleeding out onto the hay of the barn floor. She sucked in a sharp breath and pushed back the single tear that threatened to fall. Her grip on the hilt of her Sword tightened and she sheathed it, storming out through the other exit. She was going to find Gadreel on her own and merge with Libby. She could do it without the help of two pointless humans. She was sure of it.

~*~

The Impala pulled into the parking lot of Garth's and Bess' apartment where Sam's car was parked, rolling to a stop about twenty feet away. It was an awkward silence between the brothers, the tension so thick that even Libby's Sword couldn't slice through it. Dean watched as Sam opened the car door and got out.

"I'll send you that postcard," he said. Dean nodded awkwardly.

"Yeah." Sam slammed the door shut, almost to his car when Dean worked up the nerve to get out as well. He slid out of the driver's seat of the Impala and walked over to Sam who turned to look at him. "Hey. Uh, listen, that night that, uh... You know, we went our — our separate ways —" Sam raised his eyebrows.

"You mean the night you split?" Dean stopped, nodding.

"Fair enough. I was messed up, man. Kevin was dead, Libby was gone, and I...I don't know what I was," Dean told admitted.

"Okay," Sam said curtly, unsure of where his brother was going with this.

"Hell, maybe I still don't. But, uh... I know I took a piece of you in the process, and for that..." The older Hunter struggled for the right words, seeming to flip through a million different phrases to say in his mind. He finally decided to just vent, letting it all out. "Somebody changed the playbook, man, you know? It's like what — what — what's right is wrong and what's wrong is more wrong, and... I just know that when... When we rode together..."

"We split the crappiness," Sam finished. Dean  nodded his head to the side in agreement with a sigh.

"Yeah. So..." Dean nodded his head towards the Impala as if asking if Sam could come back to him.

"Okay."

"Okay."

"But something's broken here, Dean," Sam added. Dean nodded, getting his point. Nothing had been right for a while and everyone knew that.

"I'm not saying that it's not. I... I just think maybe we need to put a couple W's on the board and we get past all this," Dean reasoned, hoping that Sam would agree. He missed hunting with his brother. He missed being with him and making jokes with him. He missed the two of them arguing, relying on Libby to settle the debate of the pointless topic at hand. He missed the normality of their lives.

"I don't think so," Sam replied with a shake of his head. "No, I-I wish, but... We don't...see things the same way anymore — our roles in this whole thing. Back in that church, talking me out of boarding up hell? Letting Libby die for me? Or — or tricking me into letting Gadreel possess me? I can't trust you — not the way I thought I could, not the way I should be able to." Dean glanced down for a moment, ashamed and thinking of what to say next. He had to choose his words carefully, knowing that the topic they were on was sensitive enough to start a war between the Winchester brothers.

"Okay, look. Whatever happened... We are family, okay?"

"You say that like it's some sort of cure-all, like it can change the fact that everything that has ever gone wrong between us has been because we're family," Sam told him, scoffing slightly. Both brothers knew that Sam was right. It was the reason that the world was almost destroyed. Their fights had lead up to letting Libby and Lucifer out of Hell and unleashing the darkness that was the original family.

"So, what — we're not family now?" Sam sighed.

"I'm saying, you want to work? Let's work. If you want to be brothers..." Sam paused as if to let Dean fill in the blank without speaking. "Those are my terms." Dean stared at him in silence then nodded once. Sam made his way to the passenger seat of the Impala and slammed the door shut, waiting for his brother to follow. Dean nodded to himself for a moment, thinking things through. If they wanted this to work then they'd need help from someone outside of their family. Someone who knew them almost better than they knew themselves. The only problem was getting Sam to agree to it.

Dean followed back to the Impala, getting in and turning the keys in the ignition. The engine rumbled to life, the sound music to their ears, and they pulled out of the parking lot and started to make their way back to Lebanon, Kansas where their home awaited. It'd be empty most likely. No one ever knew if Castiel would be there or not, but they knew that Eliza was smart enough not to return after what went down in the barn.

The only thing the Winchesters had to conquer was their screwed up relationship.