Chapter 6: 9.12.3: Sharp Teeth

Start from the beginning

Garth ended the song with an off-key conclusion and the man in the front looked to him with a small smile. "Uh... Thank you, brother Garth. Wonderful accompaniment, as usual. And I'll see the rest of you in the pews — nine am, sharp. No stragglers...Sister Amelia." The man stared pointedly at a girl in the corner, earning quiet laughter from the room. Dean and Eliza stepped to the side to let everyone through in the doorway.

"I don't like this," Eliza whispered to Dean. He nodded as Garth jumped up from his seat, racing over to the two Hunters with Bess trailing behind him.

"Oh. Hi. So, what'd I tell you? It's all good, right?" Dean eyed the last few people as they walked past him.

"Everyone here's a wolf?" he asked in a low voice. Garth nodded with a proud smile.

"Yeah."

"Yeah, not all good," Dean told him with a shake of his head. Garth's face seemed to fall slightly. He obviously looked up to Dean from what Eliza could tell and the more that Dean disapproved the more disappointed Garth was.

"Oh, come on, Dean. You just got to meet them." Garth pointed to two men in the corner who waved at him. "That's Russ and Joba, Bess' first cousins on sister Joy's side." Garth nodded his head towards the man the had been at the front of the room earlier. "That's Reverend Jim, Bess' dad — leader of the pack and a good man." Reverend Jim came over with Joy next to him, holding out his hand for Dean to shake. He paid Eliza no attention.

"'Dean,' isn't it? Welcome. Jim Meyers. Folks usually call me—"

"Reverend Jim. Yeah, I got it," Dean interrupted, his arms staying at his sides. Reverend Jim awkwardly lowered his arm as Garth chuckled in discomfort.

"Oh. Uh, my bad. Dean's got this crazy fear of germs," he lied. Eliza just rolled her eyes.

"I understand your apprehension, Dean. Hunters and our kind don't have the best history together." He eyed Elizabeth in curiosity. He couldn't understand why he wouldn't give the pack a chance when he worked with the Devil's daughter.

"But I think you'll find we're not much different from you," Joy chimed in. Eliza scoffed.

"Oh, sister, I highly doubt it." Joy pressed her lips in a thin line.

"And yet they work the daughter of Lucifer," she retorted. Eliza scowled at her and stepped forward to make a move when Dean outstretched his arm in front of her, stopping her. She stared at him in disbelief but complied. The last thing she needed was to upset him or Sam. She needed them to find Nadia and kill her.

"Why don't we break bread and see?" Reverend Jim suggested, ignoring his wife's comment.

"Why would I do that?" Dean replied. Reverend Jim and Joy both sighed before leaving the room. Garth, shocked by Dean's attitude, glared at him.

"Dean!" he hissed. Dean looked over to Garth innocently.

"What?"

~*~

Eliza cringed as Joy served raw animal organs to the entire table with an exception of her and Dean who had overcooked steak. Eliza and Dean watched with a sickening expression. The former wasn't sure she'd be able to keep her food down if she watched them eat.

"Now, everybody eat up. But make sure you leave room for pie," Joy told the table. Dean and Eliza didn't touch their plates.

"Sister Joy's pies are famous throughout the badger state," Reverend Jim seemed to announce, staring at the Hunters as he spoke. Dean and Eliza exchanged glances.

"Mm. Dean loves pie," Garth said as he ate. Dean glared at Garth for even mentioning the fact, feeling a bit betrayed. He continued to watch the pack around the table hungrily enjoying the raw meat before glancing down at his own food. Eliza just pushed her corn around her plate a bit, knowing that no matter what she ate she'd only taste molecules.