Prologue

Ever felt you know something but can't figure it out? It keeps beating in your heart and you are just about to figure it when something breaks your concentration. Like that word in your english class which is on the tip of your tongue but cant make out what it is. Or the answer to a crossword in your favourite magazine you are solving with your Dad and you are so sure you know it but you cant remember. And then your ever-so-irritating sister jumps in out of the blue and begins bragging about her easy A in her AP Econ class, making you the loser.
It happens. But sooner or later you remember the word and you curse yourself for forgetting it when you needed it.
This does not stand as a huge anxiety normally. Unless the victim of this feeling is a kooky girl in Clifton, New Jersey called Avril Kahn.
***
Dear Diary,
Things seem so disastrous. It seems ever so impossible this trip ended out like this. Hah. More like the Titanic, yeah? My family's a huge mess. People in Clifton may have lost an obliging citizen, but I have lost something worth it.
A brother. Ashton.
Love, Av
***
The idea of a cruise to Cuba, the Caribbean, had seemed just so perfect after a restless year of gaining SAT scores and acing all AP classes Avril was taking, just to make sure her application to Rutgers University, Brunswick was appealing enough. And now that she'd soon be heading for it, why not relax herself? It officially took her two weeks to convince Ashton, her ever-so stubborn older brother, to accompany her to the trip.
The cruise was gleaming. The Caribbean breezes were ever so soothing. There were students from some twelve high schools around New Jersey.
Clifton High, Avril's popularity-obsessed school, had made sure all of its senior students avail the opportunity.
The tour had started off amazingly. The journey to Cuba must have been tiring, but the ship-host extremely made sure no one left out any fun. There had been numerous volunteer activities like Scuba-Diving and Crossword-Hunts. At the destination, things didn't much change. Surfers glided with the waves. Girls gossiped under the sun till their arms turned a natural tan. Freshmen enjoyed delicious ice cream scoops and built sand castles.

But who knew all of it would end up in ashes.

It was 17th of July, the day Avril and her clique, which included Ariana Mckenzie, Madeline Vincent and Adele Grande, had planned to escape from the booked area for the cruise to Melia Cayo, a famous restaurant on the outskirts of Havana.
The girls had been sneaking near the suburbs when they saw it.
Smoke hurled from Carnival Glory's east cabins. Gasps and screams filled the air. The shiny black night sky heaved with ash. Evacuation lights shone over the horizon.
And in three hours, 45 mins it was all over.