Chapter Thirty-Two

Alexus

Midnight knocks on my front door have always meant trouble to me. Waking up from my sleep, i immediately turned to find Tyrone. Seeing his empty spot in my bed I remembered that he'd had business to take care of after our dinner and told me he probably wouldn't be back for a while.

At that thought I sighed. I really didnt want to answer the door. It wouldve been nice to throw the task on him.

I got up and slowly dragged myself to the front door before peering into the peephole. I gasped instantly before throwing my front door open and then wrapping myself around Symonee. I jumped in her- with both my arms and legs wrapped around her.

There was no doubt that she looked different. Her naturally curly hair had been straightened. The last time I'd seen her with straight hair was five years prior when we first met. And it wasnt just her hair that was different. In the months she'd been gone, she had clearly lost a lot of weight. Looking At her was like looking back a few years in time. She gone from a size twelve probably back down to a seven or eight.

" Symonee!" I screeched. And I would be lying if I said that my eyes didn't well up with tears. She meant more to me than any friend I'd ever had. It was only natural that I missed her tremendously.

" I missed you too, Lex."

" well you sure the fuck haven't been acting like it."

She scuffed as I stood on my own again and backed away from her. " you fucked my father and I ignored you for four months. I think we're even."

" is that what this was about?" I asked. " you wanted to get even with me?"

" no! I just- can I come in?"

I thought about telling her 'hell no' right before slamming the door in her pleading face but I couldn't. I invited her in and we went to the kitchen. She stood awkwardly at the counter while I started making us tea.

" I'm sorry about the stuff that I said to you that night that you told me the truth about you and my father. I had just been having a really bad day and everything my mother had been saying got into my head and I just snapped."

" so you don't think I'm a gold digger?" I asked teasingly.

" no, never. I love you and I was just hurt that you and he had been lying to me."

We were quiet for a while. I sensed that she was trying to find the right place to start but I was impatient. 

" so," I paused. " why did you leave?"

" Dryan had been gone almost the entire day and to add to that he wasn't returning my texts or calls. That out me on edge. And if that wasn't stressful enough, my mom was driving me crazy. She wouldn't shut up. It got so bad that we got into a full-blown fight."

"you hit her?"

Symonee shook her head solemnly. " She kept saying that- just off the wall shit...And then I smacked her. And we just started fighting. Like... then Dryan showed up and while he was breaking us up he accidently hit my mom and I'm just so protective of her that I flipped on him. Me and my mom both just kind of attacked him...I dont know. He couldn't restrain us both so he left and that's when I called you. And you telling me about my father and you was just enough for me. I didnt want to be here anymore."

" you should have just talked to me about it."

" I wanted to but I couldn't! When I went back home my mother was packing and somehow I didn't even remember the issues that she and I were having. I just begged her to take me and the kids with her. She had been promising that she would get them the best childcare and eventually put them in the best private schools...she said she'd pay for me to go to college. And she promised that I'd be happy. And with Dryan gone all the fucking time again, taking care of two kids by myself, and then my bestfriend and father lying to me, her offer just seemed better than this shit."