Chapter Four

Alexus

" good morning guys."

" where Symonee?" Demetria asked. Demetria was one of the employess. To be more specific, she was the only one of the ten total employess that worked for the store that I didn't like. Typically I tried to be very chill and understanding because I'd had enough of fighting in the streets growing up but with Demetria I just couldn't shake the feeling of wanting to beat her ass.

"in the hospital. She just gave birth this morning."

" so, where do we apply to be the manager then because-" She made a gesture to herself, almost like she thought she was qualified.

I rolled my eyes. " did anybody ask you if you wanted to be a manager? No? Then you're not qualified." I focused my attention back on unlocking and opening the door than on her.

Once inside, I allowed the five employees behind me to enter before re-locking the door. " ten minutes, every body!"

While everybody rushed to the break room to hang up their coats and put away their lunches, I went to Symonee's office. It was in the very back of the store across from the break room. I assumed the second key Tyrone gave me would open it and I was correct.

I never really went into the office, I let Symonee handle everything money related while I worked on making sure that the floor was stocked and all customers were well taken care of.

The office was small and dark. A few steps into the room there was a chair, then a large metal desk- one that was crowded with papers- and then a large chair on the other side. Hanging behind the desk on the wall was a calendar with dates circled and things crumbled in on practically everyday.

I rounded the desk, getting a better look at the small hand writing on today's date-  Tuesday, March 2nd. Cribbed in the little box was 'count the register before opening, remove extra money'.

Each day had that, until Fridays which said 'bank after closing'.

I glanced up at the clock on the wall. There were seven minutes until opening, meaning I needed to make a move.

I grabbed my cell phone. Dialing Symonee's number as I ripped off my coat. I felt bad for calling her when she'd just had her baby but the alternative was calling her father which I definately didn't want to do.

When she answered, she sounded just as happy as ever. " heeeeeeeeey."

I chuckled. " I'm sorry for calling you, boo. I just need help."

" it's fine. I was just about to punch this nurse for stabbing me with this needle over and over so perfect timing. What do you need?"

" how much money do I leave in the drawer?"

" three hundred and one dollars. That's ten tens, five twenties, ten fives and the rest in singles except for that last dollar. The last dollar should be change."

" and where do I put the money that I take out the drawer?"

" there's a bag- hold on-" She pulled the phone away from her ear. " stop shaking her like that, idiot!"

I could hear Dryan laugh in the background. " shut up, crybaby. Look at her face, she loves it."

" so what. I'm going to hurt you if you hurt my fucking baby."

" blah, blah, blah."

Symonee came back to the phone. " I'm going to kill this nigga. I swear I am."

" you not gone kill him, because if you do then there'll be nobody to fuck your ass."

" who's side are you on?"