Chapter One

Alexus

I could stare at Tyrone all day, not that it'd be ethical, but it would make me happy. I'd never seen a finer man, in my twenty-three years of life, and quite frankly I didn't think I ever would. Besides that, it wasn't just his face that looked amazing, or his body that made me shiver, it was his aura. When he walked near me, or glanced at me, my skin was set ablaze by the sheer power that he emitted.

And truth be told, he probably didn't even look at me like that.

I shifted in the small chair, trying to alleviate some of the numbness in my ass, but failing. Hospital chairs weren't intended to be comfortable, they were just intended to be there.

There I was, sitting in the hospital waiting room, waiting for my bestfriend Symonee to deliver her baby, but I couldn't help the fact that I was lusting after her father. She'd probably be disgusted, but I couldn't help it. And when Tyrone licked his lips, even though he wasn't looking at me when he did it, I could feel my clit begin to throb.

We waited to hear something , me, Tyrone, and three other men who's names I couldn't seem to remember in the moment. It was 4:30 in the morning on a Tuesday and really, all I wanted to do was be asleep in my own bed. But no, my best friend in the whole wide world just happened to go into labor at the exact time that I was trying to have myself a wet dream.

So, boom, there I was. It'd only been thirty minutes that we'd been in the hospital but really it felt like an eternity. I had no idea how long labor could last, after all, at twenty-three I didn't have any children. Symonee's labor with her first child, Drayal, took all of about fifteen minutes. That birth had been premature as well, but for a completely different reason.

All I could do was hope this labor wouldn't be long. Just as I was hoping that it would be quick, out came Dryan, holding a baby, wrapped in a blanket in his arms. Dryan was Symonee's boyfriend, also the father of her now two children. They were so adorable together. Honestly, I could only hope to have a man look at me the way he looked at Symonee.

" let me see." I screamed, rushing to get over to him and the baby before anybody else could. " let me see!" I screamed again, breaking the silence of the quiet and damn near desolate waiting room, when he wouldn't hand over the baby.

" no. We don't want your nasty germs all over her pretty little body." He cradled the baby closer to his chest as everybody else gathered around us . " isn't that right, Deanna?"

" y'all and these damn 'D' names." Roderick mumbled. "I told you to name her something decent."

Roderick, Leon, and Omar, those were the names of the men that I couldn't remember. They were Dryan's bestfriends. We were all a fairly tight knit group, actually.

Leon and I are cousins by blood, but brother and sister through adoption. His mother and my mother were sisters, and the best of friends growing up. They even lived in the same apartment building right next door to eachother. When I was six my mother died in a car accident and Leon's mother took me in.

Since then Leon and I had been so close- despite the six year age difference- that I called him my brother because I wanted to, not just because of the adoption.

" are you really not going to let me see my niece?" I asked, poking out my bottom lip.

" she's not your niece."

" Symonee is like my sister, which makes Deanna my niece. So, give her to me!"

Dryan just stared at me, not at all moved by what I had said. He still wasn't going to let me hold her, and over the next few minutes, I realized that he didn't want to let anyone hold her, not even Tyrone. He was completely attached to his new child, and I honestly couldn't blame him. She was so beautiful, with this dark brown skin - she took after Dryan on that- and chubby cheeks.

" I just want to love on her though." I said, trying to grab the baby one more time, only to be dodged.

" She got enough of daddy's love right here."

I rolled my eyes and just decided to let him keep his precious baby. I knew soon enough he'd be calling me for help when Symonee wanted to sleep and he had to take care of both of their babies alone.

We all spent another few minutes cooing over the baby before deciding that it was time to leave. Symonee was asleep and so there was no need to stay.

We were walking toward the elevator when a hand grabbed my arm making me stop in my place. Leon, Roderick, and Omar kept walking though, that's why I knew who it was.

Goosebumps rose over my entire body.

" you need to stop." He said sternly, and that's when I knew that he knew that I had been staring at him nonstop. I was surprised he hadn't said anything before, it had been practically five months that I'd been waiting on him to say something, anything.

" you stop."

" you don't know what the fuck you doing, Alexus. Let it go."

" I cant." Is all I said, and it was the truth. I had been trying, but everytime I saw him - which was often, considering I was the assistant manager at one of his stores- I got weak in the knees.

" you have to." He released my arm. That's when I noticed how tightly it was that he'd actually been grabbing me. Blood began to rush back into that portion of my arm. " don't do this with me."

Before I could respond, he breezed past me, catching up with the rest of our group that was already halfway down the hall.

I followed behind slowly. Almost as if I had been smacked in the face, my cheeks were burning. What he'd said didn't stop me from wanting him, but it did make me think.

I wondered if it was our age difference. There was nineteen years between us, making him Forty-two. A handsome and well built forty-two, if I might add. He was the definition of tall, dark, and handsome, with a large, fit chest and full beard that let anyone looking know that he was all man.

It could have been that that scared him away, or maybe it was just me. I could be loud at times, however, he didn't seem like a man that couldn't handle that.

"can I just talk to you for a second?" I asked, once we were all standing around waiting for the elevator. I didn't want to give up so easily, not even after hearing what he had told me. Tyrone glanced down at me before looking back at the closed silver doors.

" no."

" don't be like that. I've know you for four years now-"

" then you should know better."

I sighed softly, resigning myself to just standing next to him in silence for the time being. I don't know what I had actually been expecting for him to say once he finally said something to me. I didn't really expect for him to profess his love for me or anything but I guess deep down I'd kind of been hoping for something that I could work with.

Instead, I had just gotten my hopes stomped on.

At this point I didn't feel like going home. Tevin- who'd been my boyfriend for almost five years-was there. We'd been living together for two years, only just recently breaking up four months earlier, after so many years of back and forth and the last thing I wanted to do was see his face.

He'd been saying he would move out for the past four months, but still had yet to, and it was driving me insane. Everytime I turned around, he was there, often times when I had just gotten out of the shower, and it was creeping me out. It'd taken me so long to finally get up the courage to end it with him once and for all and he'd turned into an even worse person than before, something I hadn't thought possible. I thought his cheating and lying had been bad enough, but this was worse.

He would pop up when I was in the shower, go through my phone if I left it out, and even steal things from me.

And to top it all off I don't think he had any intentions of actually moving out.

I looked up and between the four men standing around me, wondering if I could ask for any of their help, but ultimately I decided against it. They were always so busy, the last thing they had time to do was help me.