dAmN

The ball was being held in the commons area, and it was indeed a masterpiece. Washington knew how to throw a party. She looked around the room, and even in greys and blacks and whites, it was beautiful. It really looked like a scene from a movie.

Hercules was immediately upon them in an outfit matching Lafayette's. He took Lafayette's hand, giving a small sigh of relief.

Alex wondered what it felt like to be so close with someone that their presence simply brought you peace.

The commons was crowded, with people in simple masks, in large masks, elaborate masks. Everything imaginable.

Spoiled rich kids.

Hercules and Lafayette went to dance, laughing. Alex stood off to the side, sweating like crazy.

Everyone found dance partners, intermixed with each other. That never was Alex's thing.

They danced as if their was no music, which is a nice way of saying white people have no rhythm. Alex snorted to herself, shaking her head.

If Laurens had been here, they'd dance and eat and have a fun time. A smile would never leave his freckled face as he spun her around the ballroom floor. She shook her head of thoughts of him, cursing herself.

She was so wrapped up in her depression that she didn't notice a tall, bulky masked man slide up next to her.

"You don't enjoy the party?" he asked suddenly, making her jump. She gave a small nervous titter.

"Ah, no. My friend made me come." she stated, smiling awkwardly. He gave a small laugh.

"I think it's kind of funny." he said, shrugging. She decided to take the bait.

"Alright.. Why?" she asked, raised a freshly plucked eyebrow.

"They all look insane. Humping and grinding all over each other like horny dogs.. Oh I'm sorry. I'd never insult dogs like that." he said simply. She laughed, shaking her head.

This man was handsome, no doubt. He seemed familiar, but not at the same time. He was a great deal taller than herself, his arms muscular and bulging in his outfit. Oh yes, he was handsome. She could tell even behind the mask. He flashed a smile at her attention, causing her cheeks to heat up.

"Would you want to dance?" the guy asked, smiling broadly. God he seemed familiar. She nodded finally after taking a full minute to consider.

"Sure, why not?"

She followed him to the dance floor, making her way through the swell of people on her own. They pushed past several couples dancing drunkenly, several making out. Alex pursed her lips.

They finally made it to the center of the room and he seemed satisfied. She took his outstretched hand.

And suddenly it was unlike anything she had seen. There were vibrant shades of colors all around her. She gasped, as the guy gasped. She yanked her hand back. He stared at her with wide eyes.

"You're.. You're.." he sputtered but she had already begun to run. And she didn't stop until she was home. She changed out of the dress and ran it over to Lafayette's. She left a note.

'Thanks, my favorite fighting Frenchman xoxo'

And went back home. Jefferson was already home and in bed.

Alex went to bed, careful not wake him.

She didn't fall asleep quickly, her thoughts consumed by the guy from tonight.

She had royally fucked up.

-

The next morning, Alex slept in. She didn't have a class until noon, and Jefferson was gone by the time she woke. Probably with Jemmy James.

She made coffee, and worked. She got a text from Lafayette.

'I saw you run out! What happened?'

She sighed and ignored him for a good minute. She sighed again and decided it was too long to text.

'Meet Me Inside', she quickly typed back. She knew he'd know what she meant.

Thirty minutes later Alex sat, hair in a messy bun, wearing Laurens' hoodie and ripped jeans, drinking coffee. Lafayette sat across from her, waiting.

The bar was dead, the bartender the only other person in the room. He whistled, cleaning the glasses behind the bar.

"I am waiting." he said, tone dull. She gave a nervous titter, cheeks heating up again.

"Aren't you willing to wait for it?" she asked, making him scoff and roll his eyes.

She tutted.

"Someone woke up on the wrong side of the baguette." she observed. Lafayette raised an eyebrow and she sighed.

"I met my soulmate." she said quickly. Lafayette's eyes widened.

" Quoi? C'est étonnant! Après tout ce temps! Qui est le chanceux?" he exclaimed, eyes wide. Alex raised an eyebrow. He laughed good naturedly.

"I apologize. I said.. What? That is amazing! After all this time! Who is the lucky person?" he said, smiling broadly. Alex bit her lip.

"I-I don't know. I ran." she said quietly. He groaned, shaking his head.

"Did this person see le colors?" he inquired, and she nodded. "Then why run, mon ami?"

"I was.. scared I guess." she said, shrugging. Lafayette sighed, taking her hand across the table.

"I.. Assume that this is about John.." Lafayette said softly. Alex yanked her hand away, scowling.

"It isn't!" she snapped, grabbing her duffel bag and leaving.

Lafayette sighed, watching her stalk away.

He remembered a time where Alex was so carefree, didn't clam up. He missed it.