and then it wasn't

Alex received a text from John Laurence at 8:33 pm. She waited in the bar for him, like a normal Friday night. It was late July, two weeks before school started again.

'Be there in ten.', he texted.

She smiled and replied with, 'Better be'.

Ten minute came and went. Laurens was nowhere to be seen. She attempted calling him after twenty minutes went by.
No answer.

Around 9:30, she decided to go home. Maybe she'd find him there.

On her walk home, her phone rang. An unknown number. Convinced it was John, she fumbled with the phone to answer.

"Hello? John?" she answered, eyes wide.

"Is this Alexandra Hamilton?" a female voice asked, sounding pensive. Alex's stomach dropped and she stopped walking.

"Um.. Yes. W-why do you ask?" she asked, eyes narrowed. The female gave a soft inhale.

"This is Mercer Hospital. John Laurens was in an serious accident on Princeton Boulevard." she explained, voice filled with a soft sadness. Alex felt her heart stop, and the world seemed to stop spinning.

"W-what? Is he okay?" she demanded, eyes tearing up. Severe didn't sound good.

"I cannot give you any information regarding a patient over the phone, your presence is required at the hospital." the female voice replied, and before Alex could protest; the woman had hung up.

She ran. She ran, never stopping. Her heart pounded in her chest, her throat burned from the excess exercise that her body wasn't accustomed to.

She arrived almost thirty minutes later, face hot and sweaty. She ran up to the ER desk, panting heavily.

"J-John Laurens." she managed, tears leaking down her face. When had she started crying?

The receptionist gave her a sad look.

"He's in critical condition.. They don't think he's going to make it." she explained, leading Alex down the gray and white halls. Alex shook her head, hands shaking.

"He's going to be okay." she said, voice sharp. The woman didn't answer.

She led Alex back to his room, where a bleary eyed Lafayette and a, for once, silent Hercules sat. They looked to her, expressions dark.

As her eyes found Laurens.

He was in a full body cast. His face was various shades of grey, showing his bruises, and bloody. He looked... like a vision from her nightmares. His eyes were only open a fragment. When he saw her, he gave a small smile.

"Alex." he husked out, voice cracking and hoarse. Lafayette shook his head, eyes wide.

"No, mon ami. You must not talk." he whispered, only to receive daggers in his direction from Laurens.

"Alex.." he murmured again, fingers twitching. She walked over, tears falling at a steady pace. She stood next to his bed, hugging her body tightly.

"John.. You're gonna be okay.." she whispered, her hand coming to shakily stroke his hair. Everyone left. Her dad. Her mother. Her cousins, her family. Laurens wouldn't leave her too. He wouldn't do that to her.

Laurens looked around the room with lidded eyes, before his eyes settled on her. He gave a sad smile.

"Alex.. Hand.." he mumbled, eyes trained on her pink, wet face. She took his hand instead, sniffling.

He gave her hand a small squeeze, eyes never leaving hers.

"Your eyes.." he rasped, "are brown."

And his eyes glazed over, his hand going slack. The machines went nuts, while Alex's heart leapt to her throat. She felt numb, as Lafayette led her away from the room.

Nurses and doctors rushed in, yelling commands. She didn't understand any of them. She sat, feeling empty as Lafayette held her hand tightly.

Brown.

She had read about it. This was the color of tree bark. Of grizzly bears, of dying leaves. One day she'd know what that meant.

She suddenly began to cry. Lafayette took her in his arms, and soon he was the only thing holding her in a standing position. She crumpled against him, wailing into his chest.

The nurses and doctors soon returned, to tell them what they already knew. John Laurens passed away at 10:47 pm, on a hot July night.

Alex stood next to his body, her hand on his limp one.

Whenever she closed her eyes, his image seemed to flash before them. His smile, his freckles. His laughter rang through her ears.

How she yearned to see him one last time. Hear him one last time. Feel his warm in brace one last time.

It never crossed her mind to ask how he knew the color of her eyes.

// *Jefferson voice* my god..
this killed me to write, my dudes.