prologue

' There's something different to life when you can't see colors. You wouldn't expect this to be so, but it is.

When you can't see the way the skyline changes, going through a multitude of colors before settling on a darkness so black it's almost blue; well, there's less of an incentive to sit on a rooftop and watch a sunset. When you cannot see the varying shades of the dying leaves, the beauty of an autumn afternoon is lost, isn't it?

And when you can see colors, no one else will understand. Try describing to a friend what color an ocean is. Try expressing the beauty of that friend's eyes. Try to find the way you would let that friend see what you see. It's certainly more difficult than it sounds. What's the purpose of enjoying the world around you when there is no way to describe what you've seen to others?

This is humanity's fatal flaw.

Those who can see the colors are both overjoyed and depressed. They find joy in the vibrant world around them; but cannot share it with those around them. Those whom can't see the colors are both more focused and more distracted.
They do not feel the need to walk through a lush green forest; because to them, it is just a grey forest. But, sometimes, the curiosity would kill them. The thoughts would haunt them, keep them up at night. As they wonder, what colors could be hidden around them?

For a long time, scientists couldn't tell why some could see what others couldn't. Why the sight would come and go.

It was sometime around the seventeenth century that scientists and philosophers alike concluded that upon testing only couples who were born to be together could see the colors of the world. If you were not meant to be with your partner, you wouldn't be able to experience what others could. But, with further exploration, the scientists discovered another factor. There was a catch. They both could only see the colors if they were touching each other. Once their skin brushed away from each other, so did the hues of the world.

It is reported that the couples in these experiments were desperate to stay clinging to each other. When the scientists separated them the couples did everything in their power to be reunited, even using to using violence. This is now referred to as 'color madness'; and these couples, 'soulmates'.

People who find their 'soulmate' often cling to them. Most often soulmate are paired; but it is not unheard of for someone to see the colors with a person who does not see the colors with them.

This is why, in my highest opinion, the concept of 'soulmates' is immature, distracting, and crude.

- a.h, aged 20 '