Chapter 30

Freya Taschereau - Burn

I could feel Rage Factor and I, becoming one. I let her out on my own, and I stayed in control. I gripped the metal shackles tighter, and I felt my hands heat up, much to my surprise.

I watched in cold horror and rage as Frost ran towards Steve as he slowly froze over.

And I meant LITERALLY froze over. Frost had shot him in the shoulder with an ice ray, and the ice had slowly started to spread over him. I was screaming hysterically, could feel the desperation taking over. She was so close to him now...

Calm down Freya. Concentrate. Rage Factor's voice rung out in my head.

We will become one soon. Just concentrate on heating up the ice metal shackles. She intoned in a firm insistent voice.

I closed my eyes, and I felt sure that my fingers would break if I held the metal any tighter.

Suddenly, three things happened, all that once.

I felt like something, like a heavy weight, had been lifted from my chest, and I knew at once that Rage and I were one at last.

I heard a snap above me, and the feeling of air briefly rushing past me.

At that same moment, I felt the familiar weight of my Flame Sword in my hand.

My eyes snapped open as I landed on the ground in a crouch, my left hand in a fist and pressed to the ground, my right holding my Flame Sword to me.

I moved on instinct and adrenaline alone, a foreign sounding battle cry ripping itself from my throat. I recognized it a moment later as the Asgardian War Cry, one I had only ever heard once before.

Frost looked up for just a moment, and when she saw me, her eyes went wide with shock and confusion, and hesitated just for one moment.

And one moment was all I needed.

I leaped over Steve's almost completely frozen body and intercepted her Ice Rapier with my Flame Sword.

"You dare not lay a finger on him sister." I snarled, my voice loud and menacing. "In fact, you shall not harm a single one of them." I said, the dangerous edge to my voice catching me off guard. And evidently, Frost as well.

But her surprise was later replaced by a look of pure and malevolent hate. "Oh really?" She asked sarcastically. "Who's going to stop me? You? Please. You can't fight me in your state! Only Rage could, but if you let her loose, who knows who'll she'll attack! She might even kill your Captain! Though it looks like he's back to being, what did Mr. Stark call it? A Capsicle!" Frost exclaimed, laughing evily at the end.

Her evil laugh was like the ones you saw on TV. Fake sounding, not really scary, more like insane, type laughter that you really didn't think was real. But it was. Because it had just tore itself from my sister's very throat.

"Hey!" Tony yelled from within the massive circle of chitauri. "Only I'm allowed to call him Capsicle!" I turned to look at Steve, and sure enough, the ice had solidified around him. Just like when he had been trapped on ice for 70+ years. I knew what that felt like, being trapped like that. I couldn't bear to think he had gone through it once, I'd never let him go through it again.

I glared at Frost. "You have no idea," I said lowly. "What I'm capable of." I let my power flare at the end of my sentence. I felt my red aura surround me, but the air around me wasn't just saturated with my energy.

It was saturated with my fire.

Flames licked the ice surrounding Steve as Frost's indignant yells faded into background noise. I watched as the ice melted around him, until only his right shoulder was encased in ice. I called off the flames, the air no longer on fire.

I sent a rapid succesion of fire balls and flame rays at Frost. One caught her in the shoulder, making her stumble. Another fire ball hit her in the stomach, and sent her flying backwards. I ran over to Steve, dropping my sword and kneeling beside him.

I touched a flaming hand to his right shoulder, and the ice melted away instantly. I flicked a piece of stray blond hair away from his face and started to shake him awake. "Steve, you have to get up now." I said.

No words could describe how I felt when his beautiful, warm blue eyes, opened, and a greatful sob escaped my lips. Not even Loki, who was notorious for his eloquence, could speak words that would adequetly describe how I felt when I knew that he was alright. That my super soldier was going to be okay.

"Freya?"

And in that moment, I realized just how much I had to win. Just how much I needed Steve to get out of here, alive and okay. Even if it cost me my own life. Because if he ever died before me, if he ever outlived me; it would destroy me. And I knew all at once that this was my weakness. The weakness everyone but I knew that I had.  

"You're okay!" 

"Stand up Steve." I said, smiling as I pulled him up by his muscular forearm. Some of the chitauri escaped the defensive ring around the other Avengers and stood in front of the two of us, with an angry looking Frost. Smoke curled off of her body, and she pointed the rapier at me.

"You, will pay the price." she shrieked. "Banner!" I yelled. I heard the Hulk grunt in answer. "Its okay to let off a little steam every once in a while." I said, nudging Steve gently in the ribs. I saw him nod beside me. "Now, might be one of those times."

For a moment, silence.

Then a loud roar rocked the cavern, echoing around the whole cave and shocking our eardrums. Chitauri fired at Steve and I, but I covered us on one side with a wall of fire, and Steve protected us on the other with his Shield.

I heard my fellow Avengers fighting in the background, and glanced at Steve.

He nodded. "Lets get in the fight." He said.

I moved after him as he ran into the throng of chitauri, but stopped and turned back to face my equal.

Only she truly understands the extent of my powers, and the burden they have on me.

Only she knows what its like to unintentionally destroy your mother.

Only she can kill me.

A/N---

Hehe, yeah. That just happened. So, um, please don't kill me. Because.... you know.... I couldn't finish the book if you did. But, I'd like to know what you guys think so far! Do you love it, hate it, 'meh'. Whatever your opinion, I'd like to hear some feedback. 

Thanks guys!

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!

- The 7th Avenger, Musicfanatic53.