Chapter 22

Freya Taschereau - Burn

She smirks in my face, ripping off her electric blue mask. "Is it all haunting you now Freya?" She snarls, grabbing me by the hair.

Her warm, gentle blue eyes, now so icy and cold. Her pale face and the way her long wavy blond hair framed her face and revealed a few remaining freckles from when we were kids.

The faint scar on her forehead from when she fell down the steps when we were children, playing in Asgard.

Her long, curly blond eyelashes, the blond hair, the blue eyes. She was the mirror image of what my mother used to look like, while I looked mostly like my father, but certain aspects of my mother would still be seen. Like my nose and the way my eyes were shaped and spaced, according to Sif and Thor.

I knew this girl, my sister Maggie, had memorized her every feature from all the time we used to spend together.

I don't resist, instead feel my heart break into small pieces. 

"Maggie...." I trail off. "I'm so sorry. What did they do to you?" She smirked and laughed evily, still holding me down.

"What did they do to me? Nothing. They helped me, actually. They got rid of you for me, and after that, I was free to do whatever I wanted." She grinned. 

"I took a bit of your boyfriend's serum, and it extended my life as well as made me more powerful. I became the perfect assasin, freezing my targets, then cutting them down. I got away with so many assasinations, and made a name for myself. The Cold Killer." She laughed, the evil look on her face breaking my heart. 

"What happened to you?" I whispered, my voice filled with anguish. "You were so kind, so filled with happiness and love." I felt the corners of my eyes fill with tears.

She scoffed. "Don't you-" I pushed her off roughly by her shoulders. She did a backroll and sprang to her feet, glaring at me. 

She stood in a defensive position, her hands raised by her head. 

"Don't you remember what Gideon told us?" She spat angrily. My eyes widened with understanding. "Maggie, you can't seriously blame yourself for what happened!" I yelled.

"Gideon is and was filled with grief when he said those things! You can't take him seriously!" 

She glared at me. "I don't! I blame you!" She blasted a cone of ice towards me. I folded my arms into an 'X' above my head as I got down on one knee. A wall of fire manifested in front of me, and the ice traveled up and around the wall, protecting me.

I stood and lit my hands with fire. "Don't do this Mags." I whispered. "I love you, you're my sister. Don't do this, please." 

Her eyes flashed in an icy, hostile glare. "Do not ever call me your sister!" She screamed. "I am not your sister! I am the other half of the murderer that destroyed my mother, and the least powerful half at that!" She spat angrily. 

I dodged her attacks, never once trying to fight her. "Maggie..." I kept whispering. 

"Stop, please."

"You are pathetic." She spat, pausing, orbs of ice floating on her palms. I lit my own palms on fire, and I noticed that the fire balls floating in my palms were similar to the way the icy orbs floated on hers. 

Her gold flecked icy blue eyes glared back at me. "You won't even fight back. Is it because you believe I am below you?" she spat.

"Am I not even worthy of fighting the great Lady Burn, destroyer of chitauri, savior of Asgard?" She spat the titles Thor had given me that day back at me like insults. Everything she said felt like agony, even worse than when she had cut me with her ice sword. I shook my head, extinguishing my flame.

"No. You are every bit as powerful as I am, if not more. I won't fight you because I spent most of my free life protecting you from harm and trying to keep you pure and innocent, even though I knew any and all of the nine realms would have tainted you and your mind in some way. I won't fight you because you are my sister. Because I love you, and I can't bring myself to hurt you!" I yelled, feeling myself shaking. 

A flash of something passed over her eyes for a moment, and my spirits raised to unimaginable heights.

Then it was gone, her face hardening and an evil smirk returned to her face. "Sentiment." She spat. "Sentiment doesn't win wars. And it certainly doesn't save us from heartbreak when the one you love is taken from you."

She looked beyond me, her smirk growing. I turned, and saw everything.

Natasha and Clint, fighting back to back within a swarm of chitauri and some of Loki's soldiers. Thor, fighting the dark haired man who controlled dark matter. 

Stark and Bruce fighting beside each other, casting glances at the same spot my eyes were trained on. 

Steve and Loki were fighting, Steve protecting himself well with his shield as Loki shot blast after blast at him.

Loki glanced over at me and smirked. "Ah, an audience." He said loudly, drawing everyone's attention.

Steve glanced over his shoulder at me before turning quickly to face Loki.

"So soldier." Loki said, gripping his staff. "It looks as if you've run out of time again."

My heart lurched as he surged forward, staff aimed at Steve's chest. I lit my palms on fire, but they were too close to each other. I couldn't get a decent shot. I incinerated the chitauri around them as they tried to attack Steve from behind. 

I cut through the air, keeping an eye out for Maggie, but she seemed to have disappeared. 

My heart felt like concrete at the thought of my sister.

My sister.

I felt a hard blow to the head and I fell to the ground, my head spinning. I felt an odd feeling on my forearm. A scaly, reptilian like texture grasped my arm. I looked up to see a huge chitauri standing above me. The chitauri was probably between Steve's and Thor's heights. 

His grip around my arm tightened, and he threw me into the air. "Shit!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. 

 I felt myself collide into something hard. I crashed to the ground, and I'm sure I felt a few bones crack.

 "Steve!" I exclaimed, recognizing the stripped unifrom of the hard 'something' I had crashed into. I helped him up, wincing at the pain in my chest. Crap, that wasn't good.

"Frey, you okay?" He asked, concerned, wincing slightly. I nod.

"What are you going to do now, the Soldier and Spy out of time?" Loki mused, gripping his staff, pointing it at us. I saw Maggie out of the corner of my vision as chitauri, including the tallest one that had thrown me into Steve.  

I glared at him as he leveled his extraterrestrial gun straight for my heart. Loki laughed. "Both of you are completely at my mercy." He said.

"The Captain won't be able to raise his shield in time before my chitauri shoot, and Lady Burn won't be able to raise a fire wall fast enough to escape unharmed." Loki laughed, sending a shiver down my spine.

"I'd take your minds, both of you." He said, trailing a finger down the curved blade of his staff. I stiffened at his words, and I felt Steve shift slightly in front of me.

"Especially you." He said looking at me. "I like you." He winked, and I couldn't suppress the disgusted sound from escaping my mouth. Yet another shiver ran down my spine. 

Steve clenched his jaw and tightened his grip on his shield. "You can't talk to women like that." Steve said angrily. "Not any woman, and especially not her." He said defensively. 

Despite the grim circumstances, I couldn't help but smile slightly. It was nice to know that Steve was looking out for me, whether it was at a romantic level or not.