Chapter 2

Steve Rogers - Captain America

"He?" I turned around to see a woman around my age standing in the doorway.

She was tan, wearing a dark brown leather jacket, navy blue jeans, and a white tank top inside. She was wearing black mid calf leather boots, and her long straight chocolate brown hair was swept over her left shoulder, seeming to shimmer in the light.

She stood with her hands on her hips, her warm green eyes settling on me.

She was absolutely stunning. 

"May I present Ms. Freya Taschereau."

Freya? Freya was an old, yet very elegant name. 

Fury gestured to the open seat beside me. "Take a seat Ms. Taschereau."

She nodded, and moved to sit down beside me. Her hips swayed slightly, her straight brown har swishing behind her in a shimmering curtain of chocolat brown locks.

When she sat, she turned to look at me. I noticed her eyes were actually flecked with gold.

She extended her hand to me warmly. "Freya Taschereau."

I grabbed her hand and gave it a gentle shake. "Steve Rogers."

She smiled. "I know." 

She dropped my hand and turned to look at everyone in the group. "Everyone knows who you guys are."

"The Avengers, Earth's mightiest heroes."

Everyone cracked a smile, but I was completely entranced by her appearance.

I felt Tony nudge my foot, nodding towards Fury, who had started speaking. He smirked, but returned his attention to Fury.

"Anyway, Loki's back, with some new recruits of his own. So I decided to recruit someone new as well. That would be Ms. Taschereau."

Fury turned at Freya. "If you have any questions, ask right now."

She shifted her gaze to look out the window. "Is this the Flying Fortress of Shield?" She asked. I nodded. "Yes ma'am, it is." She glanced at me and gave me a quick grin.

"Anyone have any questions for Ms. Taschereau?" Fury asked.

"Yes," Clint said, turning to address Freya Taschereau. "Have you ever fought a chitauri before?" 

Freya smiled widely. "I'd say I had some experience."

"Do you have a code name, an allias?" Natasha asked.

Freya thought for a moment. "Not really. Well, not one that I came up with myself.  My enemies call me Burn."

"Where was thy lady born?" Thor asked.

Freya turned to look at him. She smiled shyly. "I was born the same place as you Thor. I was born in Asgard."

For a moment, silence. Then Thor stood suddenly and stomped over to Freya. "How dare you impersonate Lady Burn! Lady Burn is dead! No human could have lived that long! You may look a little like her, but you cannot be Lady Burn!"

"Thor-" I tried to put a hand on Thor's shoulder but he just shook me off. Freya met Thor's gaze calmly.

"You're right Thor. No normal human being could have lived this long. But Lady Burn was half human, don't you remember Thor? But even then I should be dead by now."

Thor glowered at her. "Then why aren't you?" Freya flinched slightly. "Thor!" Natasha and I exclaimed at the same time.

A flicker of regret crossed Thor's face. "I am sorry Lady Freya. Please continue."

Freya smiled and shook her head. "No, its alright." A look of grief and sadness settled over her as she began to explain.

"When I left Asgard to come to Earth, I lived peacefully for a few years. Then an organization calling themselves the 'Red Room' came and kidnapped me."

At the mention of the Red Room, Natasha tensed, but didn't say anything. 

"They brainwashed me and made me work for them. I've been under their brainwashing for a long time now, until Shield invaded the headquarters I was in, and carried me out. After five months, they were able to break the intense brainwashing on my mind, and for another two months, I've been training and conditioning to get better."

She shrugged and smiled. "And now, I'm here."

Thor looked thoughtful. "But that still doesn't explain how you are still alive Lady Freya."

Freya paled, but gave a small smile. "Nothing gets past you, does it?"

She sighed, her head bent for a moment. Finally she brought her head up to look us all in the eye. She drew in a shaky breath and said, 

"In between missions and assignments, in order to keep me alive and young, the Red Room would trap me in cryostasis. I don't how long I was trapped in ice." Her eyes looked haunted, and her hand was slightly trembling under the table. 

She looked up at Thor. "That's how I'm still alive Thor. I hope that answers your question."

The room was filled with a thick silence. Freya looked around. "Anything else?" 

I nodded. "Do you have any powers, or any specialties?" She grinned. 

"I do." 

"Why didn't you tell me about this?" Fury interrupted. Freya smiled. "You never asked sir." Tony guffawed, but a single murderous glare from Fury shut him up.

Fury returned his gaze to Freya. "Fair enough Ms. Taschereau. Please continue."

"Well, I can basically control fire, but I can also conjour up my Flame Sword. Its basically a katana surrounded by flames whenever I say burn." I nodded, thoroughly impressed. 

"If no one has any objections, I'd like to formerly welcome Ms. Taschereau into the team."

Nobody spoke up. Fury managed a smile and stood up. "Ms. Taschereau, your uniform will be in your room, Agent Romanoff can lead you there." 

Fury looked back at us as he reached the door. "Take her on a tour of the whole complex." 

I nod. "Sir."

When Fury leaves, I turn to smile at Freya. 

Her green eyes twinkle warmly, and with the golden flecks in her eyes, I can't help but stare.   

"Welcome to the team Ms. Taschereau."