Chapter 3

Freya Taschereau - Burn

"....And this is the training room." Steve holds the door open for me as I follow Stark and Natasha into the large, open concept training room.

Tony turns to look at me. "Is there enough room in here for you to show us your ability?" 

I scan the area quickly before nodding. "Yes, I think so."

We move to the open sparring ground. I make them all move a safe distance away. "I haven't done this in a while." I explain.

I close my eyes, and utter the word, "Burn."

The air around me seems to get warmer and warmer, until finally I open my eyes. I already know what I look like.

A red aura surrounds me, and the golden flecks in my eyes glow like embers at the beginning.

My eyes only glow around the beginning or when I'm seriously angry.

I put my hand up, and mutter some ancient words from a language I don't remember.

I feel the familiar weight of my long katana in my hand. I bring it down, and hold it with both my hands.

"Burn." The blade of the katana explodes into flames, and I hear a collective gasp sound from my right. 

I look over and grin. Tony's mouth is hanging open, Natasha's eyes are wide with surprise and awe. Steve's eyes are wide, and his mouth is open a little bit. Clint and Bruce's expressions are similar to Natasha's.

Thor nods, and gives me a grin. "You are indeed Lady Burn!"

I mutter a single word, and the flames disappear. I hold the katana out and away from me, one hand under the hilt, the other under the blade. 

It raises up a bit, and fades into nothing.

The air still smells a bit like smoke when I'm crushed into a tight hug.

"Umph!" I grunt in surprise.

"Lady Burn, we thought you were dead!" Thor exclaimed, hugging me tightly.

I smile, but it was getting hard to breath. "Thor, please, let, let go." I breathed.

Thor released me, but gives me a bone crushing pat to the back. "Lady Sif will be pleased to hear you are alive and well." I grinned at the mention of my old friend. 

"How is she anyway?" I asked. Thor shrugged. "The same." I raise an eyebrow. "Does she still refuse to get romantically involved with anyone?"

Thor chuckled. "Ask the last man to seek her hand." I laughed, remembering memories from a past long ago.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I sat in my room, unpacking the few possesions I actually owned.

Leather armor, weapons, a few clothes, and some jewelry.

I start to sing a song under my breath as I unpack.

Who is that girl I see

Staring Straight

Back at me?

Why is my reflection someone

I don't know?

Somehow I cannot hide

Who I am

Though I've tried