Chapter 9

Steve Rogers - Captain America

"Actually, I'm pretty sure I stabbed that ice girl in the forearm while my sword was on fire."

She smiled again. "That's pretty satisfying." I laughed and rolled my eyes.

"Are you tired?" I asked, yawning.

She nodded. "You should probably get some sleep, you look like a zombie."

I pretend to be hurt and frown. "I do not."

She rolls her eyes. "You can't see yourself though, can you?"

Freya laughed. And because her laugh was so infectious, I ended up laughing with her.

She eventually stopped, and frowned slightly. "What?" I asked, taking note of her frown.

She raised her hand to my face, brushing a piece of my hair. I wince slightly. "You're bleeding." She stated.

I shrug. "Its nothing."

"Its head trauma." She sat up slightly, parting my hair to get a better look at the cut. I kept my eyes trained on her face.

Freya bit her lip slightly, her green eyes narrowing the tiniest bit in concentration. She grabbed a strip of bandage from her bedside table and started to do wrap it around my forehead.

"Dont' you need that?" I ask. She shrugs. "Not really. I mean, if I do, there's some in the third drawer down, below the window." She stated, not looking away.

Her lashes were long and dark, and naturally curled, and I could feel her warm breath on my neck.

She pulls the bandage tightly around the back of my head. "There." She says, patting my forehead lightly.

"I think you'll be fine." She states, sounding accomplished.

I smile. "Of course I'll be fine." She laughs lightly and meets my eyes.

"You're unlike any girl I've ever met before Ms. Taschereau." I say softly after a quiet pause.

She smiles lightly and replies, "For the first time in so many years, I can think of my past and not feel haunted."

"My dark past has been replaced with my bright present and future." She says.

I tuck a stray piece of hair behind her ears as she says, "You've helped me see that."

I smile. "And you helped me move on from my own past." Her eyes light up with a small fire at my words.

"I'm glad I could return the favor."

My eyes stray from her eyes and wander down to her lips. Pink and full. She licks her lips slightly and I feel shiver run down my back.

Hesitantly, I pull my eyes back up to hers. She smiles softly and blinks innocently.

When I heard the word love, I used to think of Peggy Carter, with her hair in an old fashioned hair style and wearing a mlitary uniform.

But just the other day, the day before Freya's injury, Clint had confessed he was in love with Natasha in front of all of the male avengers.

The word love worked into my mind, weaving in and around my memories.

And I started to think of Freya.

Freya, the first day I met her, when she was wearing her leather jacket, looking so badass in her attire.

Her dark hair framing her face as she beat the sparring dummy to a pulp.

The twinkle of her golden flecked eyes as she laughed and smiled, always happy, always positive.

My feelings for Freya are complicated.

She's so stunning, so beautiful. Freya is like no other girl I've ever met, not even Peggy Carter.

And for the first time, I don't feel the familiar stab of pain in my chest when I think of Peggy. I think of a warm, fleeting feeling, a bright ray of sunshine, but gone before I had a chance to really appreciate it.

Much like Peggy herself.

But Freya was here, bright and clear just like my feelings for her, no longer tangled and causing headaches.

I've been living in the past for so long, but Freya helped me move on, and helped me learn to love again.

I leaned in slowly, and she might have moved the smallest bit, but I would never find out because at just that moment, the door burst open.

"Hey I-" The door was wide open, and behind it were all the Avengers, Director Fury, and Agent Hill. Tony stopped talking, for the first time speechless.

They all looked frozen in their tracks, watching Freya and I.

I jumped back, away from her like I'd been struck by lightening. "Are we interrupting something?" Stark asked, smirking.

I see Freya turn her head away and blush furiously. I felt my own cheeks burn, but just roll my eyes and reply with a simple "No."

Most of the Avengers and Agent Hill just smirk. "Sure." Tony mutters, still smirking annoyingly. Director Fury crosses his arms and rolls his one good eye.

Its been almost 1 month since that first day I met Freya. I glance at her. She was sitting up in bed, wearing a blood stained white blouse and her black pants.

"Do you want to change?" I asked her. She looked down and groaned.

"This was my last good blouse!"

"Are you serious?" Natasha exclaimed. Freya looked up, confused. "What?"

Natasha rolled her eyes. "We're getting you some clothes after this. For now, you can borrow some of my clothes."

"Me too." Agent Hill pitched in.

Freya smiled gratefully. "Thanks. That's pretty helpful actually." The doctor from before walked in. "Sir?" He addressed Fury but everyone in the room looked up.

"She seems to have a fast healing ability, and she should be able to walk in two days."

"Noooooo......" Freya moaned, tilting her head back to hit her head softly on the headboard. "I'll be stuck in here for two days." she moaned again, this time punching the pillow beside her.

The pillow flew off the bed and fell on the ground, going up in flames and incinerating into black soot at Clint's boots.

We all stared at the black remains of the pillow.

Freya rolled her eyes and looked at me. "I'm going to go crazy in here." She complained.

I smirked slightly. "I don't think you can get any more crazy Frey." She playfully glared at me and punched me in the arm a bit too hard.

"Ow." I complained, rubbing my sore arm. She rolled her eyes, laughing. "Get over it. At least you're not going to be stuck in here for two days."

I smile, sitting on the edge of her bed. "If you keep punching me like that, I might just end up joining you in the next room over."