Chaper Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

For a fleeting moment I was worried that everyone who attended would not be able to eat it all, and that the majority of this amazing food would have to go to waste, but then I remembered that the Nile floods were low this year, and the people would be hungry - starving, even. There was no doubt that the cook's food would not go to waste.

Tutankhaten and I got off the chariot and took our places at the head of the second table, while the Pharaoh and Queen took the seats at the head of the first table, and then Ay and Horemheb were at the head of the third table.

A large mob of people were standing around, waiting for us. Those who wished for a seat at my table lined up in a row. First, they bowed to Tutankhaten, then the men kissed my hand, before taking a seat at the banquet.

I smiled airily to each person, and glanced over at the other tables to see how many people were there.

"Prince Tutankhaten and the lovely Princess Ankhesenpaaten, I must say that my sister and I believe it to be the greatest honour in all of Egypt to be hosted by Your Graces. I must say, the monarchy has extremely outdone themselves today. And you, my sweet Princess, look just like a glistening jewel of the river Nile."

I grinned as my eyes lit up in recognition. I turned back around to face the charming Kahmose, wearing what was clearly his best clothes, and my friend Huy behind directly behind him.

"Your Highnesses, it is an honour to finally meet you," she winked, as Kahmose kissed my hand. Suddenly, her facial expression changed dramatically as she stumbled to the ground. Kahmose struggled to hold her up, alarmed.

"My Lady, do you mind if my sister and I take the closest seat to you? You see, my poor sister has leg problems, and we have walked so far to come to the front of the line, and she cannot bear to walk back. Please, may we rest here for a little bit?"

"Of course," I replied politely, no doubt failing to hide the creeping smile on my face. "Excuse me," I called out, addressing those who had already sat down and begun to help themselves to the food without being told. "Can everyone who is seated on my right please move down two spaces so this young man and his sister can sit down please?"

My demand was met with loud grumbling but I didn't mind. I was perfectly content - I was out on my beloved cliffs, my people were getting along, we were having a delicious banquet, with my husband/brother Tutankhaten seated next to me and my lover and best friend seated besides me also.

The day couldn't get any better for me.

Huy picked up a plump, red grape from the massive pile in front of her. "I must thank you, Your Highness, for throwing a banquet as lavish as this. Tis not everyday we eat so richly."

I smiled politely. "Thank you for your compliment, ma'am, but I am not the one who deserves your thanks. The Pharaoh, my brother Smenkhkre - he is the one who insisted on having this feast."

We continued to chat politely for the next few minutes, with Kahmose and Tutankhaten participating whenever they could. A dozen guards stood behind us, armed with long swords and bow and arrows in case anything were to happen, so in their presence, we had to pretend that we didn't know each other. I knew that Tutankhaten recognised my friends, and although it was clear that he didn't understand why we were acting so strangely, he played along beautifully.

After about half an hour of feasting on the luxuries laid out for us, a messenger came up to Tutankhaten, and whispered in his ear.