“Freaky? Creepy? Perhaps a little scary?” he asked, dryly. Septi blushed.

   “I was going to say not the kind of guy that a girl like Raram would fall for.”

   “Alright,” he said. “Septi, I’ll see you later. I’m going to have to go. Steppe has something that he wants to talk to me about. Or so he said.” Septi nodded, watching as he made his way to the door.

   “How long will I be here?” she whispered, as the cell door shut. “How long?”

   It was just after midnight, and Septi had finally managed to have fallen asleep when the vision started.

   “Septi,” Oracle spoke quickly and urgently. “The loners will attack tonight. Ryan’ll let you free when they do. You must help us fight them. I know you’re not in the best shape-”

   “Who cares?” Septi snapped. “Let me free, and I’ll be ready to kick some butt.” Oracle nodded, and the vision faded. About five to ten minutes later, Ryan was opening the cell. He motioned to her to keep quiet, and she nodded and followed him. He led the way to his office, ushering her in. Shutting the door behind them, he turned to her.

   “Oracle said to free you,” he said simply and quietly. “He also said to inform you that you are no longer the deputy. That Steppe finalized that earlier today.”

   “Who did he replace me with?” she asked, turning her face away so that he wouldn’t see her eyes fill with tears.

   “Oracle,” Ryan said, softly. Septi looked up at him when he placed his hand on her shoulder.

   “I didn’t know that you were capable of sympathy,” she said teasingly, fighting back her tears. Ryan shrugged and let his hand drop back to his side. She gave him a slight watery smile. “So did he tell you why you should let me out?” Ryan nodded, his face still. “Alright, and did he say if he had told Steppe what is going to happen?” Ryan shook his head. “No, you don’t know, or no, he didn’t tell Steppe?”

   “No, he didn’t tell Steppe,” Ryan finally said.

   “Excellent. So I have to be very careful that Steppe doesn’t know of this… I wonder if he’s asleep yet?”

   “What? Why?”

   “Because, if I can slit his throat while he’s sleeping, I will. He will not get away with what’s been done.” Septi’s face was set with a grim determination. Ryan nodded again, not a single flicker of emotion appearing on his face. Just then, a loud bang came from the upper floors. Mes came vaulting in, wearing her pajamas, but carrying a knife. She stopped dead when she saw Septi.

   “You’re free!” she exclaimed. Then she turned her attention back to the matter at hand when another loud bang set the ceiling trembling. “The loners are attacking. You’re both needed, and wanted. Oracle told me to tell you, Ryan.”

   “Okay, Mes, enough said. Let’s get to it,” Septi said, accepting her daggers from Ryan. Mes nodded, and the three of them vaulted through the hideout. When they reached the place where the fight was Septi slipped off, heading for Steppe’s room.

When she reached the door of his room, she paused. Just then the door flew open and Steppe was standing there, still fully dressed, in the doorway. Steppe let out a roar and charged past her.

   She looped her foot around Steppe’s leg, bringing him down. He twisted as he fell, and sprung back up. His body plated itself with metal, and he charged for her again. She dropped, his momentum causing him to crash against the wall, which cracked and buckled under his weight. He staggered away from it, slightly stunned and coated in plaster dust.