C25. Dinner Conversations and News

Their dinner had a good, friendly, and a rather easy aura kind of start; it was Saito mostly making conversations  with Koutarou and Aiko, asking them how were they and what have they been up to lately, and also checking up on his mother on how has she been feeling lately. And, Ayano wasn't speaking that much, only occasionally bobbing her head up and down to acknowledge something either her parents or Saito had said, humming and saying her opinion of the topic.

And as dinner was about to end, their dessert almost finished and Ayano on her toes because she doesn't know when are they going to talk about the marriage thing Ayano has been dreading about since they had began eating.

"Putting all other topics aside, let us get to business," Koutarou clears his throat, a very unamusing expression on his rather tanned face. He reaches out for a napkin near his plate, and dabs it around his mouth nonchalantly, then looks at Ayano, as if he was telling her to speak up first.

Ayano nods, discreetly gulping the lump in her throat out of nervousness. She resisted the urge to touch her scarf, but then realized that it wasn't even on her, the mere thought didn't calm her that much, since that scarf was really something she has been cherishing. Shaking her head, she removed all unnecessary thoughts out of her mind, focusing on the topic at hand.

"We don't plan to discontinue the arranged marriage, Ayano dear," Aiko speaks up after her husband, sitting up straight on her seat. Her features may seem stern and kind of blank, but Ayano can see through that façade; she can see the worry and kindness in her eyes, yet she was doing what she thought was right.

Saito, who stayed, didn't speak up, only looking at Ayano. He was anticipating the actions that Ayano will do, because he is on her side, albeit the words that were harshly yelled at him earlier. He forgives her, because he thinks that he may have been a bit pushy himself, asking Ayano questions when she was pressured.

"I've been thinking about that for awhile, and I have made my decision," Ayano recited the words she had already thought of from earlier. Her face was blank, no expression like happiness or sadness could be detected. Ayano was always good at masking her emotions, so doing this was just sort of a piece of cake for her. "I do not want to marry Takumi. I can take over the restaurant alone," Ayano declares, making eye contact with her father seriously, showing her stubborn nature she got from her father.

"Not making business with the Aldini family is such a waste, I will not allow it," Koutarou disagreed without much of a thought of Ayano's answer, shaking his head sternly as he eyed Ayano back. "Our business will grow tremendously, and we can even exchange ingredients with them. Isn't having your own restaurant what you wanted?" He had brought out his last resort, which was to make Ayano remember about her dream of having her own restaurant.

Hearing the last bit, Ayano resisted a smirk to appear on her face. Of course, she has also thought about it, and she is ready to retort back. "If it is going to be my restaurant, then that means I am the head and will make changes as I please. And, therefore, I do not want to make business with Takumi," like a professional, Ayano counters back, then averted her attention to Aiko, "Do not worry, mother, I know what I am doing. I've thought about it already. I can have other business partners in a few years."

Koutarou shook his head, not liking the attitude that Ayano was giving them. Ayano never really disagreed with their plans, so this was all new to him, and it made his blood boil greatly. "What is it that is making you disagree with our plans, Ayano? It must be those students at Tootsuki; you must have been brainwashed or something of the sort, because the Ayano I know will always be a good daughter and obey her father," the male bit his tongue to not raise his voice, he was careful to try to persuade Ayano, since that seems to be the only thing he could do.