Chapter 34: What Happened to Us?

Alec's POV

Where am I? Where is Magnus our children, our home? Where is my beautiful family? 

"Sir can you hear me? Alec, dear boy... Blink once for yes and blink twice for no." This woman questions informatively. She sounds to be about 65 but strong. Why is she asking to blink? Why not.. speak? 

Then, as I open my eyes, which I can tell have not seen light in quite some time. True light, mind you. I squint as the light tears at my eyes and causes them to tear up with the burning sensation. I see fuzz. White, maybe white walls. Blurs of people. Machines.

I hear this annoying peeping. I can't quite tell where it's coming from, but my brain recognizes it as a familiar, calm sound. I hear the static of an old television, hanging on the white wall, almost on the ceiling. Then, I hear the people. Then, as if all at once, my body shoots an unbearable pain that somehow reaches my soul. I thrash at air, knowing I do not want to hit these strangers... in this strange room. 

Two large when hold me down, while an older woman grasps my legs. What happens next, I can not believe.

"Mr. Alec Lightwood. We are going to pull the tube from your throat," The old woman says, firmly but gently. She was the one who told me to blink if I heard her. I nod my head. "You need to lie still if you want the ventilator removed. Understand?" She nods her head at the two men holding me down. I just stair into her soft blue eyes. "Ready?" She says once hr hands are gripping the tube. I look at her name tag. Dr. Herondale. 

She pulls the tube slowly yet forcefully. I choke when the tube is out. On what, air? Spit? I have no clue. I just know that the tube was the pain that caused the shock in my soul. What happened?

"Do you know what happened or where you are?" Dr. Herondale asks, cautiously. She sits at the edge of my bed, right next to my left arm. Her hand rests on the top of my forearm. "No." My voice is harsh, even painful to use my throat. The noise croaked out of me, foreign to my ears. "You're in Idris. Safe now. There was an accident at your home a year ago-"

"A YEAR AGO!" I jolt up, causing my head to spin and ache. "A year, what happened to me?" I ask in disbelief. "Where is my mother?" I interrupt before Dr. Herondale could even begin again. She smiles softly. "She is in the cafeteria, she will be so relieved you are awake and talking..." Her smile fades, almost as if it was never there to begin with. "6 months before school started up again, a man came to your house. He forced his way in and dragged your mother from her room. You came down to see what was happening... He didn't even bat an eye and shot you." 

She looks from her lap to the hand that rests on my arm. She slowly moves her hand to my forehead, the center, and a pain begins to throb. I flinch away and immediately place my head where the throb is coming from. There is a small raised skin, similar to the scar I have on my rib. "What is that?" I stutter. Dr. Herondale sighs. 

"The old bastard shot you right in your head. You had sever damage and we didn't believe you'd wake up. You may have some memory-"

"You said this happened before the beginning of school? How old am I?" My hand falls from my head, eyes bugging wide "Your 16th birthday is in a few weeks." Is all she says. "Where is Magnus?" I almost shout and my voice doesn't sound like my own. It sounds like, well, it sounds like when I was 16. "You've said his name a few times to the nurses in your coma. That's how we knew you were getting better and healing. Unfortunately, there is no Magnus. We checked with your family. I'm sorry Dear." And with that, everyone in the room leaves. 

Then, my mother appears... but I do not hear a single thing she is saying.

Where is my Magnus? Our children? How did this whole story in my head happen? I thought when you got shot in the head, your brain stops working. How did mine create this life... my life? I know what we need to do in Idris now that I am okay and alive.

"Mom. We are moving. I'm going to find my Magnus, wherever he is."

The End