Chapter 14: The Truth

Alec's POV
I get home at around 9 to my nervous parents and family. "Where have you been? We had a very important meeting today with our new bosses and you never showed up!" My mother, Mayrse, screams. "This was really important to us Alec. You said you'd be here." My father, Robert adds. "Well, I'm sorry. I was caught up. I'm going to bed." I say. "Alexander Gideon Lightwood. All you do is eat and sleep and go to school! Or you're at that project partner's house of his! You are isolating yourself." My mother says.

"If somethings is happening Alec, you can tell us. We will love you no matter what." My father is about to say something else. "Nothing is happing. I'm fine! Why can't I just do what I want? Why can't I just do my school work? I'm sorry that I'm not like Jace or Izzy or Max! I can't be them, I'm me and if you can't deal with it then learn! I'm sick and tired of you telling me to be social and get friends.  I don't need them!" I'm screaming. I look at them, their shocked expressions, and storm up to my room.

     I lock the door behind me, put a chair up to the door, and collapse on the bed. "Nothing's ever good enough for them." I choke on my tears, trying to hold them back. There is so much that Izzy and Jace don't know... I can't stand how everything I do isn't good enough. They sent me to summer school because I didn't get a 100 for my GPA. They sent me to archery camp to become the best. They force me to eat all this organic shit  and work out because I'm not like Jace. They hook me up with girls because I never had a girlfriend like Izzy had 100 boyfriends.

     Most importantly no one can know about me and Magnus. My family doesn't accept it. The only one that would is Izzy and she blabs to everyone. Max, he wouldn't understand the concept of it. I have no one. No friends, no trust with my family. All I have is Magnus and that's the only person I want.

     I walk to the window and lock it as well. Jace used to climb into my window at night when we were younger, I don't want him to do it tonight. I roll myself into my blanket and pass right out into a dreamless sleep.
******
     I wake up the next morning early, so early that I can walk to Magnus' and have him drive me to school. I make no noise as I get ready and leave. When I get to Magnus' I stand on the porch ready to knock but I can't. What if his- I'm interrupted by the door opening. "Oh! Alec." It's Magnus' mom. My eyes widen and I cross my arms behind my back. "Hel-ll-o M-mrs. Bane." I stutter.

     She laughs as she picks up the morning paper. "Please call me Deliah. Are you waiting for Magnus?" I nod. "He doesn't get up for another hour. Is everything okay?" She asks. Magnus told me she's a "shrink" and I have to be careful around her. "No. Yes. I don't know." I shake my head. She lifts her wrist and waves her hand. "Let's have a cup of tea before Magnus wakes."

I follow her inside and wait for her to sit with the mugs. "What's wrong Alec? Are you and Magnus having problems?" She takes a sip. "No, no. It's not." I wave my hands frantically. "It's, my parents and my family. We got in an argument when I got home last night because...." And I tell the whole story. It's easy to talk to her, she doesn't act like a physiatrist at all. "I see. Well, would they be okay with you being gay?" Deliah asks, causing me to laugh a little in anger.

I roll my eyes, "No. They are homophobic I guess." She grabs my hand, in a very reassuring way. "Well, are you sure?" She asks, her tone getting  higher with the last word. "Yeah. I'm really sure. They moved to a new job last year because their bosses were having a relationship, two guys. They couldn't handle what they were doing. So I know." I assure her, it feels more like I'm reassuring myself.

     "Well, if you tell them they will have to love you Alec. They are your family. It may take some time, but they will come around." She pulls her hand from mine and sips her tea. "Was it easy with Magnus?" I ask curiously. "Yes. Want to know why?" She asks smiling. "A mother always knows her son." She looks to her watch. "I have to get to work now. If you tell them, you can always stay with us." She pays my shoulder. "He'll be up in about a half an hour. Tell him there is breakfast in the fridge." She says before grabbing a set of keys and walking out.

     I walk up to Magnus's room quietly and shut the door softly. He sleeping with one arm out, a leg bent and his head to the side. I walk over and crawl into the spot. We fir perfectly like this, like it was meant to be. He stirs a little but quickly falls completely  under, as he begins to smile in his sleep. I rest my ear on his shoulder, entangle our legs, and sling my arm over his torso while resting my hand over his heart.

     I didn't tell Magnus about the whole thing with my parents, only bits and pieces. He kissed my hand a few times as we drove to school. I went through the day without thinking until gym. "Alec!" The teacher calls for me when class is almost over. "Did you know we have an archery team?" I move from my shooting position to talk. I nod my head to his question. "You should join it. You'd be a great member to help them in the competitions. The coach is asking for you." I just say I'll think about it and he hands me a card with a number on it.

    When school is done Magnus meets me at my locker. "Are you going home?" He asks in a whisper. "Yeah, I have to. I can't run from my problems." I shrug. "Alexander?" He asks, he tries to reach for my hand, but he second guesses and places it down. "Are you sure you'll be alright?" I nod my head and try to put my best smile on. "You can call-" he's interrupted by Jace coming up to us.

     "Alec we need to talk. Everyone tonight." He says and I can tell that Magnus is biting his tongue. He wants to say something but he's tightening his jaw. "Fine." I say and Jace winces at my attitude. He looks at me, his eyes squinting, before walking away. "I want to seriously ki-" I interrupt Magnus' almost outburst by resting my right hand on his left shoulder. "It's fine, I'll be fine. You don't have to worry."

     He looks a little hurt by my words. "I have to worry Alexander." He whispers which causes me to look at my shoes. "I will always worry." He says softly. We walk out to his car as we stand alone in the completely empty lot. No teacher or student in sight. "I'll try and call you." I promise. I pull him into a kiss. Soft and sweet. "Okay. Are you sure you don't want me to drive you?" He asks, a little worriedly. "I need to think." I peck his cheek. "I'll be fine."