Chapter 29: Do You Still Love Me

Alec's POV
     Immediately that afternoon Deliah and I head to the police station. She told me not to come but I couldn't do that. I couldn't let him sit in jail, so I carried the laptop he wanted and spare clothes in a backpack. I drive my car. My family wanted to come along for support, I think mostly to make sure I didn't do anything stupid, but Deliah and I told them to stay home.

     The ride up is silent. Neither of us say anything, her bottom lip never stops quivering. I have to be strong. I want to break down in tears because Magnus doesn't deserve this, not all of this shit going wrong for him. When we get halfway to the station , I move my right hand from the wheel and grasp her's.

     "He'll be okay." She says out loud, more for assuring herself than me. I nod my head to agree, but she never looks at me. Just out the window, occasionally her hands shake. When we get to the station we walk straight to counter.

      "I'm here for my son, Magnus Bane." Deliah tells the officer. He is short and pudgy with a black mustache and bald head. "This way." He waves his hand in the hair and we follow his lead to the back of the station and around a corner. We find Magnus on the ground facing the back wall. He's sitting in a ball, similar to the fetal position but not quite. I don't say anything.

      "Magnus, baby." Deliah whispers and he spins right around. "Mom." He had tear stains down his cheeks, some fresh. He stands up and runs to the bars. Deliah pushes her hands the the slots and they hold each other's hands tightly, both of them shaking. "Mom, I'm scared." He confesses and Deliah just shakes his head. "I know sweetie, it will be all alright." She tries to sound confident, but she fails.

     "Did you bring my laptop?" He asks a few minutes later, pulling his hands back. "Yeah," she wipes her cheeks with the tips of her fingers. "Alec has it." I nod my head and look away from Magnus. "Why did you need-" We are interrupted by a tall, pale, lanky man. He has pushy eyebrows and thick glasses that make his eyeballs big.

     "Deliah." He sighs when they exchange an embrace. "I'm sorry I'm late. My plane was delayed in Detroit and the flight to New York was awful." Deliah just holds him tightly. I take a step back and feel something I never felt before... like I didn't belong here. Even that I didn't deserve to be here. "I'll find the officer in charge and show him the video feed-" he turns to Magnus. "You do have it right?"

      "Um, yeah. My boyfriend, Alec has it." Magnus gestures at me and I sling the backpack off my back before handing the pale man it. "Alec, I'm Derek, their lawyer. I've been on their case since the first trial." He tells me and I only nod. I don't know what he's talking about and I'm not going to ask. I will never know the whole story with Magnus.

     Derek walks away and Deliah follows. I am now standing across from Magnus, leaning against the wall. "Come here." His voice cracks, causing me to jump with the suddenness of his words. I walk in front of him and the bars. He reaches for my hand and I take it, squeezing like he's going to slip from my grip. As if we read each other's minds, we fall to the ground.

      I lean my back against the bars, as does he and we just stay there. We stay like this even when Deliah and Derek come back. "They are reviewing the video recording from your security system now." He tells us and Magnus just lets out a sigh. Hours pass by the time an officer comes over to us. "We would like to pull him in for questioning." He points at Magnus.

     Magnus stands up as they slide the bar doors over. All of us file back around the corner to the interrogation rooms. Deliah and Derek walk into the watch room. "Alexander." I hear from behind me as I'm about to enter the same room. He pulls me by the front of my t-shirt to plant a longing kiss on my lips. "I'm so sorry." He tells me and he's about to continue but I kiss him to stop him. "We can talk about this tonight."

     I walk into the room as Magus takes a seat across from two officers. "We saw the video on your laptop from the security system." The officer on the left says. "We want to ask you one question." The officer on right states. Magnus nods, placing his hands on the table, his fingers interlaced.

     "Is this the first time you're father has done this to your mother and you?" The right asks, hunching his shoulders. Magnus's shoulders rise and fall. "Yes, this is the fourth time." He confesses, never looking away from his clasped hands.

"He's hurt my mom more, I don't know how many times." He clarifies. Derek pulls Deliah into a comforting hug now. I wrap my arms around my body uncomfortably. "Was he ever drunk?" The left asks as he writes. "The first time, after that he never was." Magnus begins shaking his head. "I don't want to answer anymore." The officers close folders and notepads, before standing.

"You are free to go, we have all the evidence we need, I'm sorry for arresting you. The charges will be dropped." The left one says. Magnus stands up and turns slowly to face the one sided glass. "He needs you." Deliah places a shaky hand on my arm. "That's the look he gives." She goes on, adding a chuckle. She still is in Derek's arms when I run out.

I get into the room and Magnus pulls me into a tight hug, his chin resting on my shoulder and his face in the crook of my neck. "I'm sorry this is happening to us." He whispers. "Mags you have nothing to apologize for. "Do you still love me?" He asks before pulling away, his arms still around my neck. I smile at him, raising my hand to his face to push his hair to the side. He was nervous, he pulls his hair when he gets like that.

He sighs with the contact. I pull him into a soft kiss. "I will always love you Magnus." He kisses me again. "Let's go home." Magnus whispers, his forehead on mine. "I love you Magnus." I say again and he smiles with his whole face.