Chapter 8: Confusion is Showing

Magnus's POV
      Alec just hopped out of my car. No goodbye, no I'll see you tomorrow. He just said thank you and left. We didn't talk about the kiss, we didn't talk about his feelings.... Nothing. I drive to Ragnor's baseball game, he's the pitcher. I park and walk to the bleachers to sit farthest from anyone. I look at the board, it's the bottom of last inning and one more strike by Ragnor and he wins. I sit in anticipation, and he serves. Fast ball, down the center and the hitter misses. Our school one the game.

     Ragnor celebrates with his team until he feels it dies down, more importantly he spots me. "Hey Mag, where were you today? I didn't see you at all." He asks, dragging his bat bag with him. "Do you want me to drive you?" I ask first. "That would be great. You want to come over for dinner, my mom and dad won't be home until late?" He asks back. I nod. "I was at my house all day." I say and he looks at me confused. He knows there is more. "What did you do at home?" He pries.

     "I spent the day with Alec Lightwood." He squints at me before hooping into the passenger side seat. "Why are you upset about this? You like the kid, why would it not have gone well?" He's very confused. "He says he's not gay." I say a little defeated. "Oh." Is all he says. I start driving to his house. "The worst part is, he kissed me. Twice." I add to the situation. "Did you kiss him or did he kiss you?" He asks as I'm at a stop light. I turn to him, "He kissed me." The light turns green and I accelerate.

     "Oh Mag... I'm sorry." I pull onto his street. "Yeah, I don't know. That why I came to your game. Not that I don't like you playing baseball, but I am not an athletic person." He just laughs. We hop out and walk into his house. I sit on the little couch in the living room as he walks into the kitchen for, probably, food. He comes back in a few minutes later with a sandwich and two cups of tea. "Thank you." I pick it up.

     "You look like crap by the way. I forgot to tell you that." He tells me and I can't help but shake my head before staking a swig of the hot liquid. "Yeah well, a lot was exchanged at the hospital yesterday, then a lot happens at my house. So i have a reason, trust me. I do not feel like my magnificent self." I say, a little irritated he mentioned my appearance. I need to look important and dress to impress.

     "You really like this Alec?" He asks sincerely. "Yeah, more than anyone else but I can't force him to embrace his sexuality when he's not comfortable with it." I say. I can't believe I just said that. I can't believe I did. What is happening to me? If it was anyone else I would make them choice, why can't I do it with Alec? "He kissed you so I would say he is gay and likes you too so.... I would want to know if he is ashamed of being gay or just afraid of how people would react. From there I think you can decide your course of action." I nod and think.

     "I should listen to you more often. That is pretty good advice." I point out and raise my mug. We clang the mug and take a sip in sync. "You should text him and tell him you had fun at your house." He suggests snd his face widens. "Aren't you partners in Anatomy? You'll have to do that soon, it's due in like 2 weeks." He asks. "Yeah, I don't know how that's going to work now that everything is so awkward." I say, raising my eyebrows. "It's really on his part. Listen to me." He places his sandwich plate down and faces me.

     "You are Magnus Bane. The flamboyant, sexual, and confident guy. Most important, you are very confident. Don't get defeated with Alec, show him you care by pretending like it's not awkward." He says. He places both of his hands on my shoulders and shakes me lightly. "You're Magnus Bane. You can do it." He repeats reassuringly. "True. Alright, what are you cooking me for dinner. It's 7:45 and your love life is draining my stomach." I roll my eyes and walk to the kitchen.
*********
     Dinner at Ragnor's was fine. We didn't talk about Alexander anymore. It was about him and Catarina, they are dating apparently now which never would have crossed my mind. I'm driving home now in silence, thinking about Alexander. I pull into my driveway and walk straight into my house, up to my room and lay down. "Hey bud." My mom says coming into my room. She takes a seat on my bed. "Woah, rough day?" She asks, referring to my lack of usual appearances. "Fine," I say and take a pause. "No. It was an awful day."

     "What happened baby?" She places her hand on my shoulder and rubs in a soothing circle. I sit up and pull her into a tight embrace. "I told him Mom. I told me and he told me he wasn't gay. Then he came over, kissed me twice, then left and we never talked about it. Now..." Now I'm in tears, they are slowly falling down my cheeks and onto her t-shirt. "Now, I have to see him everyday and ignore the fact that I like him, he kissed me BUT he's 'gay.'" My mom doesn't say anything, she just rubs my back.

     She hums into my ear a calming tune. "It will be okay." She repeats every so often until my tears are just soft hiccups. I squeeze her a little tighter. "I like him mom. What do I do?" I ask her, my chin against her shoulder. "You're confidence should show Magnus. Don't let him see your hurt but let him see how happy he makes you." She whispers, and pats my left shoulder. "That's what Ragnor said. I should really listen to him sometimes. I guess he knows what he's talking about." I laugh through my soft hiccups. My mom walks out shortly after and I pull my phone out.

Magnus: today was fun Alexander. We need to discuss so one about this Anatomy speech. ;)
Alec: yes, we can talk about it more tomorrow before Anatomy starts tomorrow
Magnus: did I do something? I just want to know.
Alec: no, no. Everything is fine. It's okay.
Magnus: good. I shall see you tomorrow than. Make sure you take your pain killers in the morning. I don't think you want those headaches again to tackle you down.
Alec: I will, thank you Magnus. Good night.
Magnus: good night Alec.
Alec: Alexander.
Magnus: okay. Alexander. Good night.

     Tomorrow, we are going to talk about this. We are going to discuss this and get everything out on the table. I want to know what he is feeling and what he is thinking. No I need to talk about this.