Chapter 33: Growing Larger

*A few years later*

Alec's POV

     Magnus and I have moved to the suburbs of Massachusetts about 2 years ago. We now live in the medium sized, stoned house at the corner of Salem St and Lakewood Ave. The house is just perfect for the two of us and not to big not to small. We just celebrated Magnus's 25th birthday a few days ago with a night full of movies, a homemade dinner and lots and lots of sex.

"Alexander." Magnus whispers, breaking me of my train of thought. "Are you okay? You've been acting funny lately, sometimes not in a good way." He continues. "What do you mean?" My voice raises with confusion. I lean up from laying in his lap, spinning around to face him.

"You've been acting weird. You just stare out into space a lot and just... I don't know, smile. Then you begin to look nervous, then sad. I want to know what's wrong with you." As he talks, he caresses his hand on my cheek and rubs my cheek bone with his thumb. "It's nothing, I might be just sick or something." I say flatly.

      Except that's not the case. I want to ask Magnus if we could have a baby. I have always wanted a baby to call my own, I just don't know if Magnus wants one. I know we've been dating for a long time, and we even talk about getting married. Just, does he want to have a baby with anyone?

"Alexander, I have a gift for you." Magnus says, breaking me out of my thoughts. "What is this for? It's not my birthday." I say, a huge smile plastered on my face. "Just open it." He nudges his head, grinning proudly. I take the small envelope from his hand and peal the flap open. Inside is two tickets to our old home town. "Wow, thank you Magnus. We leave... TONIGHT??" I stare at each ticket marked with the flight time of 7:45 pm. "You're welcome. I just thought it was time to go back. We can see your parents and brothers and sister."

It's been almost 4 years since I've been home. I haven't gone back for two reasons. 1- I wanted to get away from my family and explore the world and all it has to offer and 2- (which is the biggest reason) is to have Magnus avoid it. It's where his mom died and where he almost ended up homeless. I didn't want to see him look sad and miserable while being back in the place I thought he hated. 

"Why today, Magnus?" I ask cautiously. "It's just time to visit." Is all he says. I can't make out his tone if he is hurt or happy. So, I just pull him into a tight hug and make my way to our room to pack. I hear Magnus come in when I'm almost done. "Aren't you going to pack?" He smiles a little. "I already did. You don't need that many clothes. We are only there for 2 nights." I nod in response. 

*************************************************************************

As we step out of the taxi, I see we are at Magnus's old house... it's our first stop. The house looks abandoned, like no one has lived here since him and his mom. I stay silent, I don't want him to get angry if I ask why we are here. I just let him pull me towards the backyard. if I thought the house look abandoned, I was mistaken. The backyard his lit up by paper lantern lights, strings that hold pictures of us, of friends, and our family, there's now music playing. It reminds me of when Magnus asked me out back here, but this is different. 

"Alexander Lightwood, would you do the honor of marrying me?" He's on one knee, an engraved silver band in a beautiful red box. I inhale deeply, shock riding through me. I didn't think he was actually going to purpose. I'm so surprised that the first thing that comes to my head, i shout out. "I want to have a baby." I cover my mouth and stare, eyes wide open. 

His arm doesn't lower and his eyes begin to water. "I want a baby too." He whispers. "Yes. Yes, Magnus I will marry you." I quickly stutter as water begins to escape my eyes. "I love you Mags." I whisper in his ear. "I love you too my Alexander."