Chapter 31: A Forgotten Promise

Alec's POV

      It's been three years since I've seen Magnus. It has also been three years since I've last talked to him. He promised he talk to me. He promised to marry me. And how stupid am I to think that he really meant it....

I'm a Junior at Idris University in New York City. I'm studying to be a genetic research chemist and I have been taking enough credits to graduate a little earlier than the other people my age.

     But anyways, I've been keeping to myself since I've gotten here and I haven't made too many friends. I have Maia who's a business major, Jordan who is Maia's boyfriend and a computer engineer major, and Raphael who's studying accounting. I'm heading to their apartment building now to pick them up to head to a party in Brooklyn.

     "Hey Alec." Maia says as she climbs into my backseat with Jordan. Raphael jumps into the front. I nod my head and pull onto the street cautiously. Everyone talks the ride up except me. I just drive with my left hand on the wheel as I spin the ring on my right ring finger. It's Magnus's, I still haven't taken it off since he gave me it.

How stupid am I?

*************

      We've been at the party for about 20 minutes now and all of my friends are parading around the room with the other drunks. "Hey, hey Alec." Maia says coming up to me, clinging her arm around my shoulders. She does this mostly for support, not friendliness. "How about that guy? He's hot." Maia slurs a little.

     I follow her gaze to a tall but lanky guy with a navy blazer and tan skinny jeans. From the back, his black hair looks to be spiked up in the front. When he makes a half turn I see that his tips are dyed a glittery red but I can't see his face.

My heart begins to beat faster once Maia leaves to find Jordan. I begin to see the guy in the navy blazer as he turns to the side into a flashing white light. Immediately I recognize him and I can't believe that it's Magnus. I begin to walk over to him, but it's more of a speed walk with angry stomping. When I'm a few feet from him I stop entirely.

      I look at my ring and think about what he told me. Images of us flash through my head and I then remember it's been three years. He probably found another guy, or even a girl. So I pull the ends of my leather jacket forward, shuffling it tighter around my shoulders before I turn away towards the exit.

      "Alexander?" I hear but I try to act like I didn't hear Magnus's familiar voice. My heart wants me to turn back but my head is pushing me forward. I climb out of a window onto the fire escape and walk up to the roof for some air.

     The roof overlooks the city lighten up and it's beautiful. It's breathtaking and it's my first time truly looking at it. I just chose New York City because it's two hours from my family and their programs were the best for my major.

      "Alec?" I turn and see Raphael. He's not as drunk as Jordan and Maia but too much to be tipsy. "Yeah, what's up?" I ask as I turn to look at the skyline again. "There is a guy who wants to talk to you but I told him not to follow you up here." He says friendly-like. With a sigh I say, "Just tell him to come up."

       "Alexander." I swallow and close my eyes when Magnus whispers my name. I feel the tears begin to form in my eyes so I shake my head and turn to him. He's skinnier than ever and he looks exhausted. His clothes are wrinkled in the front and his makeup isn't as on point as it usually is.

      "Magnus." My voice cracks and I close my eyes, shaking out my hands at my side. "I have to tell you so much but first I have to tell you I'm so so so sorry." He whispers and comes closer to me. When he gets too close for me, I step back; my back pressing up to the roofs ledge. "Um, I haven't called you or texted or anything because um.... well, it's hard to say." He begins to tell me but his body begins to shake instead.

"My mom... she..." His eyes begin to water and his shaking gets worse. I look at him for a few seconds until my heart takes over my brain. I rapidly step forward and wrap my arms around Magnus tightly. "She's gone." He says through a sigh as he presses his head to the front of my shoulder.

     With his words his legs buckle and he falls, bringing me down with him. I stay quiet, I don't know what to say. So I just rub small circles on his back. Hours go by, I can tell because of where the moon is at now. It must be three or so in the morning when Magnus calms down enough.

      He pulls away to look at me, neither of us letting go of the other. "That's why I couldn't call you. I couldn't come back to New York until this month when I had enough money for rent for a few months here and even the plane ticket here." He rambles quickly.

     "Magnus just stay quiet." I say and place my hand over his mouth. He pulls my hand down before talking again. "I couldn't remember your number when I got a new phone so I went to your house and your mom told me you went to school at Idris. So I heard kids we're coming to this apartment and-and I took a shot. I've missed you, Alexander."

     He pauses to take a deep and dramatic breath. "You need to know that. Please tell me you under-" I press my lips to his urgently. I push him down against the roof's ground, one hand pressed firmly above his head and the other pulling at his hair. His hands run up the skin of my back as he bites my lower lip.

     "I thought you forgot your promise." I whisper as he nips at my neck. He pulls his lips away and places both of his hands on the sides of my head. "I never can forget you, Alec. I love you."

      Something inside me turns a little. Can he love me after all these years? Can I love him after all this time?

      I kiss him again softly. "Come back to my apartment." I whisper. "Come with me, Mags." He smiles at me and I can tell it has been awhile since he's done that. "I'd like that."