XX: one second is all it takes

HAPPINESS IS something everyone strives for

HAPPINESS IS something everyone strives for. When you think about it, you realize that that's the whole point of our lives. No longer is it survival. It's happiness. We search for a perfect mate on apps that are for hookups. We spend money on the most expensive car, elaborate houses, clothes, and shoes just so we can feel more bigoted and better about ourselves. We have social media so we can get likes and follows so we would feel like people actually care. Why? Because we like happiness. We want happiness.

But happiness is achieved when everyone else is swimming in a sea of misery. And it's disgusting that you wouldn't have remorse or feel ashamed.

Right now, my misery outweighed any goals of happiness I had ever wished to reach.

        "She left a few hours ago actually. She said something about jogging somewhere. She told me to meet her at school. She was visiting me for medical purposes." David lied through gritted teeth and they had no idea. I shut my eyes and crawled further into the small slot between the couches where I wouldn't be spotted. I wondered how many people stood in front of the door but most importantly, how easily David had thought up that lie. He must know something clearly that he is hiding from me. He must've realized they looked suspicious.

        "You wouldn't have a problem with us entering to look around then right?" A persistent Tank asked. I would assume there were two other people there with him.

        "Uh, sure, but since you're FBI, I believe you need a search warrant for that. Get one and come back," David said smugly, shutting the door halfway before Tank hit it open, from what I could hear.

        "And who are you?" Tank asked, a menacing sound to his voice.

        "Nobody important." David replied. Had he been through something like this before? He seemed to have all the answers. Did his mother find things in my family file that I didn't even know about? Did David know why these men were after me? Were they even dangerous?

        "Okay Mr. Nobody. We will be back with a search warrant. Or we can get Taylor to come to us herself." I heard Tank grunt as the men shifted in front of my door. "Move or we will make you move." Tank threatened. My heart elegance racing wildly as David fell and picked himself up. Had they pushed him? I couldn't see.

        "You can take me. Taylor won't come after me, she doesn't even know who I am. This is my apartment! I don't even know a Taylor! My girlfriend went running, her name is Bethany. Who are you?!" David shouted, spouting lies to protect me. I heard signs of struggle but remained silent in my hiding spot. My heart was racing in the dim morning, just as the sun began to rise.

        "Well Mr. Nobody." Tank stated, "By the looks of your swollen lips and the pink tint of your cheek, I would assume that you are having an affair with Taylor Lance Blakely. And the lies you spouted just a few minutes ago don't coincide with what you just said. If you're in there Taylor, if you can hear me, just know you won't get your boyfriend back until you succumb to our wishes, check your  damn phone child." I wondered how they knew and why they didn't believe David. Were they just used to stealing random people, lying or not.