I: the reputation that I preserve

Chapter I: the reputation that I preserve

"MY THANKS go out to all of you who voted for me. To Jake and to..." I took a pause, rehearsing the words that they expected me to say, "First of all, thank you, I'm like, totally grateful and I will take this award as a symbol of my gratitude to all of you. I'm super happy to be your homecoming queen this year! I love you all to pieces! Thank you!" I squealed, blowing air kisses at the large crowd and trying my hardest to hold back another loud squeal that would find a way to probably escape later. The dark auditorium was filled with formally dressed students and fancy lights flashing, shining ever so slightly on the golden balloons.

The golden crown signaling my win was held before me then placed royally on my blonde up-do. I felt extremely special as the spotlight glimmered on me, making my fancy golden dress sparkle. I smiled widely, I knew I would win, but the reality of the moment sent me into bursts of bliss. I felt giddy as the next announcement would be made.

"And our homecoming king is," the woman announcing the winners paused for a really long time, probably for suspense. The breaths of the multitude caught in their throats as they awaited the name of their king to be called. The auditorium was silent enough that if a bobby pin fell out of a girl's hair, it sure as hell would have echoed.

A very heavy tension filled the air. It felt like we were tossed suddenly into a humid creek full of mossy grass, rivers, and rocks. I tapped my fingers unnoticeably on my beautiful golden dress, chosen months prior to Homecoming, specifically to match the crown. The silence in the gym engulfed me, as everyone awaited the name of Jake to be called. My eyes met his gaze and I froze- he was looking at me, and I did not want his eyes on me like that.

Jake Selvins was none other than the boy who had publicly proclaimed ownership of my heart. He had asked me to be his girlfriend at the start of last year and we had been dating since.

I didn't like him, per say, well not as much as I liked the longing looks and jealous glances from the students all around me. Everyone believed we were the 'it' couple- the couple that everyone perceived as perfect and in a way we kind of were.

We were cute together, but I wasn't happy being with Jake, he had taken things painfully fast, but I was in no blunder to destroy the school's star couple. My reputation was far too valuable to me.

I never felt the things I was supposed to feel around him, rather I was utterly disgusted by his arrogance, his annoying confidence that spoke a thousand words with just one look. But I would much rather die than destroy the delicate social hierarchy that the 'it' couple held. It would leave the school in outrageous shock if we were ever to be separated. I had no choice in this matter, unless I wanted to bascically be hated by the whole school.

The pause seemed to elongate as anxious students waited impatiently for Jake's name to echo across the auditorium.

But it wasn't Jake whose name left the woman's lips, the crowd went wild when she finally spoke, calling the true Homecoming King's name.

The world seemed to freeze to a dead silence for me, my ears didn't seem to be registering anything. The piercing voice came loudly through the microphone as I clamped my eyes shut, wishing it was just a dream- wishing it was just a nightmare. The confused look that overtook my face could be spotted from a mile away; there was no possible way on earth or in any world where he would win homecoming king.

"David Brason!"

That was the farthest name from my mind as a possible winner. The possibility that he had won seemed to tame the crowd as it rung in my ears. The room that had beautiful white Christmas lights surrounded us as I snapped out of my trance and into the loud reality before me. The crowd erupted with excitement as people screamed and whistled for David.