IX: to love who you don't see

IT'S BEEN three months since I've dressed out in my cheer uniform

        IT'S BEEN three months since I've dressed out in my cheer uniform. The girls from the cheer team no longer feel I'm worth their time, and I guess it's typical since I still have another week or so with my cast. They don't even glance at me in the hallway or wave like they used to before.

        I no longer eat lunch with the likes of Jake Selvins or anyone of that sort, I guess I've degraded to the level of Matt. Not saying that's a bad thing, but I was really hoping to become prom queen and I guess since I left the cheer team, all hope is lost. I mean, Matt's a pretty great guy, if only that Vanessa girl stopped going after whats-his-face Nick and actually noticed Matt.

        And I haven't seen my father in three months either. It's like he's disappeared off the face of the planet. Mom and I have adjusted to our apartment life, she's found a steady job and has actually started making really delicious home cooked meals. (Courtesy of Matt's mom I presume). It was hard at first, unbeatable even. But now it's become a norm, a regular routine has formed with Matt and I getting closer by the second. If I've ever had a real friend in my whole entire life- Matt would be it.

        "Taylor, I'm talking." David's voice snaps me back to reality. I focus in on his soft brown eyes as he smirks.

        "And I'm not listening." I murmer, staring at my history notebook as the teacher began passing out worksheets.

        "These will be due tomorrow!" The teacher says right after the bell rings, signaling the end of class. I quickly stepped into the hallway, heading alone to my next class. I had gotten used to being alone. I mean, I heard college life is pretty lonely too and I'm about to go to college... eventually.

        "Taylor. Wait, can we talk?" David's hand snaked around my wrist, the unbroken one, and turned me toward him. He froze me in the hallway as passers by gave us sideways glances. I ignored them. I couldn't understand what I had done to make everyone hate me. Jake cheated on me- not the other way around- so why was I being antagonized?

        "No." I said, turning my icy gaze to the lockers behind him and trying to remove my hand from his grasp.

        "I think we do." David spoke to me in a tone I had never heard from him. He actually sounded serious for once and I couldn't help but think how hot he was at that very moment. I really shouldn't be gushing over someone like David- someone who had known me since kindergarten and was a known companion to my terrible ex. Someone who had a similar reputation to Jake.

        "We have nothing to talk about." I hissed, not feeling like bickering with him at the moment. I pulled my wrist away and continued walking. The halls had cleared by now leaving only a few people straggling behind. The tardy bell would ring soon.

        "Yes we do!" He said in a dangerous tone, somehow quickly appearing in front of me and placing both hands on my shoulders. He towered over me, his scent was so satisfying. I needed a boyfriend fast or I wold easily revert to liking David and that's not sanely possible.