V: popularity comes at a cost

"I'M SO SORRY Jake, I forgot and then I fell down the stairs and the neighbors had to help. . ." I said, standing in front of Jake's mansion. Wow, his home was way smaller than my old one, but now it's quite the opposite.

        "Neighbors? You don't have neighbors." He crossed his arms over his chest. "And all last week, while you were gone, what were you doing? I want an explanation Taylor, because those rumors... I don't know what to believe!"

        "Jake. . ." I said, "can we talk about this later, I. . ." I was embarrassed as we stood there, staring at each other.

        "Who is he?" He asked harshly, his brows furrowing in anger.

        "Who's who?" I furrowed my brows in confusion. What was he even talking about?

        "The guy you're cheating on me with?"

        "I'm not. . . what gave you that idea? Why would I even cheat on you?! I'm not that kind of person first of all, and secondly, I hadn't realized you thought that low of me Jake!" I shouted, feeling my temper becoming unbalanced and almost explosive.

        "Then why have you been avoiding me Taylor?" I wanted to stomp on his foot and drag him around without his shoes, "and what the hell happened to your arm?"

        "Jake!" I exploded, "will you stop interrogating me?!" I yelled, standing on the porch of his house.

        "No." He mumbled. I groaned, staring into his golden brown eyes that blended so perfectly with his brown curly locks. I could easily see that he was hurt, I didn't want to be the cause of that, but I couldn't possibly tell him the truth about Taylor Blakely. I shut my eyes and took a deep breath.

        "Okay then Jake. This is pointless. Do you want me to help you with your work or not?" I asked, my arm felt a bit better, I pulled the sling off for a second, staring at him. He knew we were getting no work done- either schoolwork or otherwise.

        His gaze shifted from the ground to land on my eyes, an intensity so dark in them that I could feel my heart racing wildly. He opened his mouth to say something but then shut it again.

        "Spit it out!" I yelled at him as he took a step closer. I was probably the most impatient person I knew- but everyone is flawed and I knew things about him that most did not.

        "Taylor," he whispered, his lips close to my ears. I backed away slowly, my heart racing quickly as I backed into the patio door. His mouth moved from my ear to my lips, centimeters away, he stared. "I love you so damn much, baby, it hurts to even think that some other man holds your heart." He breathed loudly.

        "J...Jake?" My voice was shaky and uneven. I wasn't even sure what I wanted- hell, I couldn't even tell him I loved him back.

        "Kiss me baby," He murmured, inching forward, quickly, hungrily ravishing my lips as his hand wrapped around my waist and steadied me against the door. His hand gripped the door tightly, my hands were in his hair.

        "I. . ." I began, but couldn't get a word out as he began kissing the spot under my ear and trailing his lips down my neck. His hand bumped into my arm, which he had been so carefully avoiding. I immediately bit the inside of my cheek, he backed away slowly, realizing he'd hit my wrist.

        "Taylor?" He asked, taking my wrist in his hand, I stared at the ground, a tear slipping through my eye, "Taylor, look at me." He whispered sweetly, his hand on my chin.

        "It's nothing, it's just sprained." I whispered. Stay strong Taylor. Big girls don't cry.

        "Who told you that?" He tilted my head toward his so we were at eye level.