The Beta's Mate Ch.26

“Are you okay?” Caleb asked walking up to me cradling his bleeding arm. He voice was cold the one he used whenever he was angry or frustrated with me, this was the Caleb I didn’t like, this was the Caleb who always hurt me.

“What was that about?” Was my reply.

“Nothing.” His own reply was curt as he stepped past me probably going to find Alpha Jake or Jon and it made me angry.

“Don’t you dare turn your back on me, not now! Those wolves just attacked your pack but they wanted me and that man he called me his sister! I want answers! Now!” I shout at him. By the time I am done Alpha Greg showed up with members of Holloway and Red River had stopped to watch mine and Caleb’s banter.

“Lana,” a deep voice called from behind me, I turned to see Alpha Jake, “He’s been ordered not to share any information, but if you wait a bit for me to reorganize my pack I promise to at least start answering your questions.” I glanced at him quizzically but nodded.

“Jake, we got here as soon as we could. Is anyone hurt?” Mark’s father enquired as he closed the distance between the small group that had gathered around us.

“I was just going to check now. So far no reports of anyone dead. Don’t leave yet, we need to talk about the girl.” He said motioning with his head towards me and Alpha Greg’s mouth set in a grim line. Alpha Jake gathered his pack sending doctors to tend to the wounded and calming everyone down assuring everyone that the intruders were gone.

“Lana are you alright?” Mark exclaimed running up to me and cupping my face as he checked me over.

“I’m fine,” I reply solemnly, I was just confused and shaken by what had just happened.

“Here, this fell off when you shifted.” He said putting my necklace back around my neck; I thanked him by giving him a gentle kiss. He wrapped his arms around my waist pulling me closer before resting his head on top of mine and I nuzzle into his chest. We are like this for moments when I get that feeling you get when you feel like someone is watching you and thinking the dark guy had come back but I came into contact with Caleb’s hard, fierce gaze. He noticed I had caught him staring so he looked to his left where he was distracted by Jon who whispered something in his ear before they wandered off.

It took another half an hour before calm had been reinstated among the Red River Pack and both Mark’s father and Jonathan’s father approached us. “Your parents will be waiting in a meeting room at Holloway for us to discuss the situation at hand. You can head over now. We’ll follow soon.”

So here we were. The younger wolves, John, Caleb, Mark, Kyle and I were all waiting outside the meeting room as the adults discussed what happened as it neared midnight on Christmas eve. This had been a different pack then the one that had injured Mark and killed Alyssa.

I didn’t understand why the guys weren’t talking about why these packs attacked us, they obviously knew something I didn’t maybe why that guy who had hurt Caleb had called me “sister”.  The adults where in the meeting room for almost thirty minutes before they called us in, Alpha Greg stood at the one end of the table while Alpha Jake stood at the other, their beta’s to their right.  I took a seat to between Kyle and Mark. Caleb, Jon and my parents sat opposite to other. Other members from both packs were scattered around the rest table, here as witnesses to decisions between our allied packs.

“Thank you for joining us Lana and the rest of you, Mark, Jonathan.” Alpha Greg greeted us. We all gave polite nods in response. “Lana you have already been informed that the pack tonight was not the first pack to attack us. Not only was this not the first pack to attack, it wasn’t the first pack to attack because of you.” I sat back in my chair my mouth agap.