The Beta's Mate

“Earth to Lana.” My friend Keri said waving a hand in my face. I grunted my response. “If ‘f’ at ‘x’ is equal to ‘g’ at ‘x’ then are equations equal?” We were helping each other study for our test next period in math in the school library during our free period.

I looked at her with a panicked expression as I was unsure of the answer. “Yes.” She didn’t respond so I quickly changed my answer “No.” This time I received a sceptical look. “Ugh, I don’t know.”

                “Man Lana, you’re going to be taking junior year over again if this keeps up.” She stated, I wanted to object but I had nothing to back myself up.

                “Maybe my English will be adequate enough to fill out a job application for McDonald’s, and then I can drop out of school.”

                “Doubt it.” Connor, my other friend, interrupted as he came back from signing out some books. I stuck my tongue out at him childishly. The bell rang and I sunk in my chair with a groan. “Come on, might as well get it over with.” Connor said pulling me up as Keri handed me my bag.

                We made our way out of the library only to walk smack dab in the middle of the notorious group of populars. Our future alpha Mark, was amongst them along with his future beta their girlfriends, as well as the alpha of the Red River pack, Jonathan and his beta also with their girlfriends and a couple of other guys with their girls. The moment was complete chaos. They started shouted at us to move out of the way. I quickly back pedalled till my back hit the lockers and I was free of those huge brutes. I looked around in a panic for my friends. I ended up making eye contact with Caleb Foster, Jonathan’s beta, his gaze sent my heart beating twice as fast as normal and I couldn’t break the contact. What was this? I felt drawn to him. Oh crap, no not him anyone but him...and Mark and Jonathan.

                “Lana!” I heard my name being called it was all it took to break me from the trance like contact between Caleb and I. “Lana what’s wrong now? You look like you’ve just seen a ghost.” Keri said.

                I turned my head to look at her then at Connor they both had on concerned expressions. I readjusted my bag on my shoulder, “I think I found my mate.” I told them as I strode off towards class. Connor had another class to attend to but Keri followed me.

                “Who is it?” She pushed but I brushed her off not wanting to share just yet. “Awe please Lana, I promise I won’t tell anyone.”

                “Because you don’t tell anything to anyone besides Connor and me. Besides I’m not sure if it’s really him or not.” I was saved by Mr. Harper handing us our test as we walked into class and were told to get started. We were allowed to leave once we finished the test so we didn’t disturb others and to my luck I finished before Keri so I could still avoid her questions for a while longer. To my even greater luck and surprise I would later find out that I got eighty percent on the test, without cheating might I add.

                I went to my locker first to get my books for class after lunch. Once again I ran into my alpha, only this time it was just him –a rare sight, his friends must still be in class.

                “Well if it isn’t Miss Lana Havard.” He said with a cute smirk he used to reel girls in like a fish on a hook, I’d grown immune to it, not that he ever used it on my of course. I rolled my eyes as I exchanged books from my locker and school bag.

                “Hey, Mark.” I replied in fake enthusiasm.

                “What a weird way to treat your alpha.” He commented leaning up against the locker next to mine, I glanced quickly at his actions then returned to the contents of my bag. “What’s wrong Havard?” He asked.

                This confused me, “What? Why?”

                “Well you dropped your frown.” He said bending over and picking something off the ground he then he pretended to place the invisible object around my mouth, I clued it to what he was doing and a small giggle escaped my lips and a smile plastered my lips. Unfortunately he had a look of victory on his face and then I clue in to his true intentions and my frown returned.

                “Mark Fischer, your tricks will not work on me.” I claimed.

                He had a mischievous look in his eyes and a genuine smile, “You have to admit it almost worked.” He said with a wink.

                “No.” I retorted, “I will not admit it. Wouldn’t your mate be mad at you for flirting with other girls?”

                “I don’t have a mate yet. What about you, wouldn’t your mate be mad if you were falling for other boys’ tricks? ” He inquired.

                “Again, I didn’t fall for your trick.” I growled.

                “But your mate would be mad?” He pushed.

                “You would have to ask him.” I answered finally shutting my locker.

                “Okay who is it?”

                “It’s-” I stopped, “Wait what?” I said trying to avoid the oncoming subject.

                “Don’t avoid it Lana. I could always use my alpha power over you and make you tell me.” He pointed out.

                “But that would be abusing your power.” Thank god, Keri had arrived just as the bell rang for lunch. “Bye Mark.” I said again with fake enthusiasm. I heard him chuckle as passed him on our way to the cafeteria.

                A/N: Well this is a test run of this story. I've been wanting to post this for a while but I've wanted to make sure it has a cover, which is very amature but still frustrating to make. I guess we'll see how this goes enjoy!