The Beta's Mate Ch.21

My first day back to school went by smoothly after Chemistry. People asked how I was doing and I gave them all the same answer, that I was doing fine but still on the mend. I called my parents at lunch and explained to them about the chemistry experiment, they were okay with it as long as I called them to pick me up as soon as I was finished.

I arrived at our Chemistry classroom ten minutes after the bell and set up our equipment again while I waited for Caleb. I was surprised when he hadn’t arrived by the time I had finished setting up, actually was I really? Actually no I take that back, he was probably with some girl. After waiting almost an hour Mr. Cohen allowed me to go, he would talk with Caleb tomorrow, and my mark would not be affected. I thanked him, called my parents and began to put the stuff I had taken out away. My good mood from the day was gone. I can’t believe he didn’t show up, I had to stop having any expectations of Caleb because he seemed to keep disappointing me, this had been my motto the whole day and I’d already broken it many times today.

Dad showed up as I was walking out of the school. “How did it go?” He asked cheerfully, I gave him a flat look. “I take that as a ‘not well’.”

“You got it,” I reply with fake enthusiasm.

“Well maybe this will cheer you up. You mom and I talked, we also talked to your friends down at the track. They explained some things to us, so your mother and I decided you aren’t grounded from going out.” He told me and I almost hugged him but he continued, “You are however still not allowed to drive.” I understood this punishment they had specifically told me I wasn’t allowed to race and I had ignored them, I accepted this punishment.

The next day at school, Caleb wasn’t there for our first period class, between classes I went out on a mission to find Jonathan or any high ranked wolf from Red River, but I couldn’t find anyone I was comfortable talking to. Mark found me wandering the halls.

“Looking for me?” He asked wrapping his arms around my waist, my anger and frustration instantly began to dissipate.

“Actually I was looking for Jon, or anyone from Red River who can tell me where the heck Caleb is!” I tell him and his expression goes serious.

“Red River is having some problems with rogues, it started after lunch yesterday. They’ve called in their higher ranks. Holloway is having a meeting tonight, we have to be prepared in case the rogues come our way, also in case Red River calls for our aid. Most of Red River will be out of school for a few days.” He informed me as we walk down the slowly clearing hallways hand in hand.

“No one was hurt?” I wonder out loud.

“Just a rogue or two, but the Red River will deal with them.” I nodded in understanding. “Anyways we should hang out this Saturday, just you and me.” He suggested easing out of the news from Red River pack.

“Of course, my parents are out of town, I’ll find a babysitter for Gavin and we can stay at my place.” I offer.

“Works for me.” Mark agrees as we arrive at his class room, kisses my forehead and embraces me in a hug once more behind going into his class. “See you as lunch.”

                Mark picked me up for the meeting about an hour and a half before my parents were planning to leave. They would be presenting me to the pack as Mark’s girlfriends for the first time at the meeting, we’d been together since before the last meeting but I had still been recovering from the crash and had been unable to attend. He was bringing me to the pack house early so they could prepare me. I had my hair done and my dress in one of those cover bags to bring along to put on at the pack house when it was closer to the time that the meeting would start. It was a long, strapless, chiffon gown, an ombre purple, with a darker purple on top to a lighter at my feet. My mum had picked it out for my along with my shoes for underneath.