The Beta's Mate Ch.19

“I’ll have a strawberry milkshake with a plate of fries.” I ordered off the menu, Mark had taken me out to a small diner to get me out of the house. It was part of my rehabilitation from the crash, I was to return to school on Monday, that was four days away, but I was still only capable of been out for a couple of hours. A silver scar about my right brow was the sole physical evidence remaining of the accident.

I hadn’t seen Caleb since the day he came to play video Call of Duty with me. Keri who visited with me regularly informed me that Mark had given him an order to stay off Holloway territory and to stay away from our pack. If Caleb violated the orders he’d be given a Holloway escort until orders were followed. Apparently he hadn’t broken any orders yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised if his rebellious side appeared soon, it was more than obvious Caleb enjoyed breaking rules.

“Lana,” Mark called snapping his fingers in my face to get my attention as I day dreamed, “You phone is ringing.” I shook my head as if to rid my head of Caleb, before checking my phone. My stomach dropped guiltily when I recognized the number and ended the call.

“Honey, you know you’re going to have to talk to them eventually.” Mark said taking my hand from across the table and rubbing his thumb gently across the back of my hand and leaning his head down trying to capture my gaze.

I looked up at him and sigh, “I know, I just don’t know what to say to them.”

 “Lana, its Carl and Stan they’re like your older brothers. I think they’d be glad to hear anything from you at this point, you haven’t talked to them since the race.” Mark offered and I had to agree with him, I was thinking selfishly. I didn’t want to see them because I wasn’t ready but, I forgot that they may need their own closure.

“I’ll go tomorrow then, I guess.” I reluctantly decided as Mark gave me an understanding smile.

“I know the past month has been hard Lana, but there are so many people who care for you and want to help you! If you ever need anything there is always someone who is close to you to talk to.” He promised kindly and I felt the butterflies flutter in my stomach, what did I do to deserve this Alpha?

“Thank you Mark. I love you.” I said as I leaned across the table and he met me half way for a kiss.

After we ate we decided to go for a run in wolf form. It wasn’t just my human for that needed rehabilitation; the crash had taken its toll on my wolf as well. I followed a few strides behind Mark, letting him set the pace. His strides where long and allowed me to push my wolf, helping me to begin regaining my toned muscles that most wolves had.

“This feels so nice.” I comment to Mark through our link.

“What does?” He responds slowing the pace

 “Just running, no worries, nowhere to be, no Caleb to ruin it.” I sigh in content rubbing against his side affectionately. He licks my the side of my face soothingly.

“Enjoy it while it last, you never know what is going to happen.” He chuckled I grumble my agreement ever since Caleb  first rejected me my calm, easy life had taken a drastic turn. Believe me I’d never been physically hurt as much as I had in the past months then I had my whole life. I wasn’t sure how much longer I could take this beating Caleb seemed to deny he was doing to me. Of course it wasn’t directly him that hurt me but everyone knew he was the main reason behind it all.

Although my body was exhausted from my “workout” earlier in the day, my mind would not shut off as I tried to sleep. I was freaking out about seeing Carl and Stan, about school, and to top it off I think Caleb was messing with some girl because those odd headaches were back. I growled in frustration and threw the sheets off, I wasn’t just going to sit there and do nothing. My parents had hidden the car keys from me so I couldn’t drive anywhere, I was banned from holding the car keys or even sitting in the driver’s seat of a car. I had disobeyed them by continuing to race and it had nearly cost me my life. So my other alternative was to shift, I packed a bag of clothes to change into when I arrived at my destination then as silently as ever I exited the house. If my parents found out not only would I lose my driving privileges but I would probably be put on house arrest too.