The Beta's Mate Ch.13

Caleb and I entered the house through a side door. Our arrival would be announced following Jonathan’s and his parent’s arrivals. The house was dark and deserted as everyone was in the backyard waiting for the arrival or their present and future leaders. Caleb led me through the house pointing out significant rooms as we pass them. He brings me to a small dark business room where Jonathan and Mark are playing video games on the 72 inch television that is mounted on the wall. They are seated in leather chairs on either side of the large, walnut wood table and do not appear to have noticed us.

Caleb cleared his throat to get their attention. Jon spun in his chair as Mark continued to play, “Oh hey Caleb! Lana, I didn’t expect to see you here.” Hearing my name Mark paused the game and turned around as well.

“Alpha,” I greeted with a respectful bob of my head, “Caleb’s family invited me. I hope that’s okay.”

“Of course.” He allowed, “Make yourself at home Lana. Do either of you want a drink? You can call down to the kitchen the meeting isn’t starting for another half an hour.” Jon offered. I declined as drink while Caleb ordered himself a beer like the other two had. “Have you told her what the pack all knows Caleb?”

Caleb shook his head and I looked at him confused, “No I haven’t told her anything.”

“What do you have to tell me?” I inquired looking between the four boys, “Is this about me causing problems with the other packs? Why is that? What did I do?”

Jonathan’s eyes widened in surprise, “How do you know that? That’s supposed to be confidential.”

“Joe told me.” I said bluntly.

“Who’s Joe? What Joe?” Jon pushed standing up in his chair; I could see his face getting redder.

I was actually getting nervous now, “I don’t know, Joe the border patrol guy. He stopped me on the way in. Why can’t I know about any of that? It obliviously involves me.”

I was looking to Jon or Caleb for an answer but it was Mark who answered, “Lana only a select people know about Caleb rejecting you, but somehow it has gotten to other packs and they aren’t happy about it.”

“What why?” I asked confused looking between the three boys.

“It goes against an ancient silent law for Alphas and Betas that we must accept our mate whoever they might be. It still goes for common wolves but it’s not a strict.” Mark continued.

“Why is that?” I press for more I’d never heard of this silent law before, I guess I never had too. Rejected mate with practically unheard of, it made me sick even thinking why Caleb wouldn’t want me. What was wrong with me?

“Fate places mate together for a reason, in an Alpha or Beta’s position there must be an even bigger reason for this placement. An Alpha or a Beta can’t have a weak mate they’re too important.” Jon explained. I looked at Caleb, was that it? Did he see me as weak? I dropped my face into my hands trying to process this information while trying to remember to breath.

“Will the other packs attack?” I inquired.

“If they do we’ll be ready for them.” Caleb said seriously yet rather enthusiastically. “Red River and Holloway are working together to be prepared for any attacks.”

I gave him a look, “You could prevent all this, there doesn’t have to be a war between other packs.” I tried to reason with him. Caleb’s mouth set in a grim line but he didn’t reply.

“Just let it go Lana,” Jon warned as I opened my mouth to continue.

Mark opened his mouth to retaliate but there was a knock at the door as the young butler arrived with Caleb’s beer. Sensing the tension that had once again formed in the room he hurried in then high tailed it back out of the room.