The Beta's Mate Ch.5

I when I woke a second time I was in the nurse’s office and a groan escaped my lips, “Am I dead?” I asked and heard a chuckle and giggle from beside the bed, I looked over at my two best friends.

                “Nope you’re alive alright.” Connor assured me, “You hit your head though pretty good.”

                “It was so funny Lana!” Keri exclaimed not ashamed at all that she was laughing at my pain, “Sorry but it was.” She added as the nurse gave her a serious look.

                I rolled my eyes and shook my head at my friend then asked the nurse, “So am I allowed to go back to class?”

                She bit her lips as she considered my question. “As long as you take this ice,” She said handing my a bag full of ice, “And head straight to the hospital as soon as the bell rings at the end of the day to make sure you don’t have a concussion.”

                I shook my head, “I can’t I have a detention with Mr. Renold after school.”

                She gave me a mischievous glance, “Well I guess we’ll just have to get you out of that I suppose.” She said scribbling on a piece of paper that I was to bring to Mr. Renold, we all smiled at each other as she wrote us all slips for our teachers. We’d all missed our third period most of our fourth period classes so Connor went off as Keri went with me to the bathroom to check out the “killer” bump on my head.

                “Ugh,” I moaned as I gently caressed the bump and cut just along my hair line on my forehead that the nurse had patched up, “This could be “killer” alright, if I do have a concussion.”

                “You’re such a baby it will be healed by tomorrow anyways.” Keri said swinging her legs from her spot on the counter beside the sinks.

                “Easy for you to say, I still have half a day to go through with it.” I complained.

                The bell rang and she walked with me as I went to drop off my note at Mr. Renold’s office, he wasn’t their but his secretary said she would be happy to give the note to him. I thanked her before leaving and heading to the next class. We turned the corner where a group of populars were hanging around. When we approached them Mark parted from his group of friends.

                “Caleb told us what happened, well kind of, he said you passed out and hit your head. He seemed pretty worried.” Mark said his face full of sympathy as he took my face in his hands and turned my head to he could better see the bump.

                “Was he worried? Because I didn’t see him outside the nurse’s office waiting to see if I was okay.” I snapped, Mark sighed and opened his mouth to say something but I cut him off as I took his hands from my face, “Look Mark, I don’t need you and any of your posse trying to talk for either of us. So why don’t we just go on with our lives as if none of this ever happened.”

                “Lana, it doesn’t have to be like this.” He told me.

                I shook my head, “Yes Mark, yes it does, it’s better for everyone if you just leave it alone. I have to get to class though; I’m in enough trouble as it is.” And with that I brushed past him and they all watched me as I linked arms with Keri and we headed off. Neither of us spoke as we made our way to class or even in class. I was deep in thought and her not talking was her way of comforting me.

                When the bell rang for lunch I told Keri I’d meet her in the cafeteria after I went and gave my mom the keys to the car. She nodded and headed off the in opposite direction.