Dissimulation

Isn't it interesting  how far to an extent the human mind and eyes can be fooled, believe pretense. You pretend to be happy and smile while in reality you are close to feeling like death. You pretend your bloodshot eyes are from endless television while it was due to endless crying. You pretend you have dark circles from all night studying while its insomnia and nightmares. You pretend you are strong when really you need someone to help you. You pretend to be cold when in reality you're a drowning mess. You pretend to be ignorant and cut off when really you try to hide and not worry someone else with your burdens. Pretending to be sick to cover up the true reason behind the weakness. Pretending to be busy while in reality you want to run away from everyone. Pretending to be alive when in reality you're barely surviving. Pretending to be unaware of what is bothering you because the truth of it is so harsh and grim. Pretending to your friends you have forgotten their mistakes while they gnaw at you from the inside. Pretending to have no words while inside you are screaming to be heard. Pretending to be alright when you are hurt and in pain. Pretending all is pointless while even the smallest of things hold meaning. Pretending to be naive while in reality your innocence to this world had vanished long ago. Pretending to be sober when all night your throat burned with alcohol. Pretending to be clean when that very morning your lips had kissed a cigarette. Pretending to your parents your life is stable. Pretending to the world you are sane. Pretending to have moved on from a dissolved relationship. 
  Pretending so much, in so may places. Not wanting the actuality to be seen by those around you. But...how much can one pretend? How much can one act? How much can one fool? And how long can the other be kept in such an illusion?

*(Original image not by me)