Chapter 22: To Desire & To Regret

Chapter 22 ❤️ To Desire & To Regret

Megan Green

OLIVIA LEFT LAST NIGHT, and I couldn't say goodbye. I sent her a voicemail saying sorry (though I don't really mean it), but she never replied. Probably put her phone on airplane mode or something like that.

So I decided that if I can't say goodbye to Olivia, I might as well say it to someone else I care about.

Someone who's still crying right now.

"Please stop crying, Kay!" I beg, unable to look directly at her puffy eyes. "Everything will be alright."

"Yah, every little ting gunna be alright!" West and Asher sing in their best Jamaican accent.

"I hate you guys," she says, half-smiling and half-crying. Mostly crying with a smile on her face.

That was basically her way of saying 'I love you, man!', but in a more tough Kay way.

Jules is here, too, but I plan on not insulting her right now. Not when Kay's still here.

But maybe when she leaves.

"I'll miss you, Kay," Jules says as she aids her with her packing.

We're all helping her, in fact. West and Asher are acting all tough as they bring heavy boxes to the moving truck. Jules and I are doing last-minute packing with Kay. It's our way of saying 'sorry' without really saying sorry. It never really was my thing.

"It's just that," She lets out a deep breath. "It was hard enough to find who I am here, and now I have to start all over again from stage one."

"But you've been to Italy before, right?" I question, hoping that will somehow lighten her mood.

"Yes, of course. But that was on a vacation. I actually have to live there, and I barely speak the language," she sighs.

I hear her Moms voice from the outside. "Kayla, vieni qui e aiutare con i pacchetti!"

She replies, "Sto arrivando, dammi solo un momento!"

"And you say you can't speak the language." I roll my eyes.

"Mmm-hmm," Jules agrees, folding her arms.

She just laughs at us, shrugging. Her Mom shouts, again, "Sei in grossi guai se non si ottiene qui in cinque secondi!"

"Alright, Mom, I get it!" she yells back, infuriated with her.

Although I don't know what the heck they're saying, it's still entertaining. Kind of like a foreign movie with no subtitles.

"We're leaving now," she sighs, picking up a box. "I guess this is our only moment to-"

I don't let her continue talking, I just give her a big hug. "Meg, you're wetting my shoulder!" she whines as I cry on her shoulder.

I let go of her, saying, "Have fun out there, but don't ever replace me."

She nods, passing her warmth to Jules. "I'll miss you, too, Jules! Don't let Megan change you, even if your life depended on it."

To you, it was a joke. But to me, it actually meant something. She was really warning Jules in the best way possible. I ignore it.

After our exceedingly long hugs with one another, she ends up hugging the guys. They're not exactly fond to body contact, but she doesn't let go of them.

She jokes, "And I'll miss you guys least of all."

"Kayla, don't disrespect our guests!" Her Mom scolds.