Chapter 16: He Chose Me

Chapter 16 He Chose Me

Juliet Rose

"YOU SON OF A GUN," SHE shouts. I stare at her with my eyes wide open. What is she talking about? Everyone's attention lays on us, including Asher. She stands up from her seat, showing everyone the wetness of her baby blue skirt. "What is wrong with you?"

"Calm down, would ya?" Asher scolds, his hand reaching for hers. She pulls away before his soft touch could make her change her mind.

"Stay out of this," she hisses, squinting her eyes at his ocean blue ones. She looks at me, her eyes filled with rage. "I can't believe you spilled water all over my outfit! Do you know how much this costs?!"

I reply calmly, "I-I'm sorry. I didn't know, I-."

"It was an accident," Kay defends. "Besides, she's Jules. She would never have done that on purpose."

She snarls, "I don't care if it was the freaking queen who did it. All I know is that she spilled water all over my hundred dollar outfit."

Probably is all she knows, I think. My heart thumps repeatedly. I hate when people scream at me, and at the same time I can't help but believe it's my fault entirely.

"I'm sorry. I'll get some napkins for you," I offer.

"No, just stop! You've already done enough damage. Just stay out of my life, or-."

Ash yells, "that's enough! You're acting like children! It was a water bottle for God's sake!"

"She did it on purpose!" Meg defends, crossing her arms like a five year old.

"I don't care! Just quit it, both of you," he demands.

I bite my lip, trying to resist myself from crying. My forehead feels hot, and a lump in my throat forms. What has gotten into Meg? I thought we were friends. I run out the cafeteria, covering my face with both hands. I lean against the cold wall, sinking myself into the ground.

"You okay?" Ash says, crouching down next to me. I shake my head. "Don't worry, it was an accident. Meg's just a little... Dramatic."

I shake my head. "No, I know she hates me. Or dislikes me. Or doesn't take interest in me anymore. Or just doesn't care about me. I'm not sure why, but I know she did that on purpose."

"For whatever reason, just know that I'm here for you," he says, touching my cheek.

He takes a strand of my hair and puts it in the back of my ear, leaning in closer to me for a kiss. My heart thumps as I try to figure out what to do. I can stop this or enjoy it, but both come with its consequences.

"N-No stop. This isn't- just stop," I stutter, turning my head away from his. I don't want to reject him while looking at his deep, blue eyes. That would be too painful.

He replies sadly, "I'm so sorry Jules. I felt like this was the right moment, and-."

"It's alright. I just," I sigh. "I don't know. It's complicated."

He nods, looking down at the cold floor. He scoots a few inches away from me, realizing that I was uncomfortable of how close he was to me. I feel sympathy for him, and can't believe I turned down the hottest guy in our school.

"What did you think?" he finally says, slouching.

I reply, "about what?"

"Your first kiss," he smirks. The crease in his smile is so cute, yet one-percent evil in his own way.

I slap his arm, giggling. "That was not my first kiss. I've made out with plenty of boys."

"Yeah right! That was definitely your first kiss. I could tell."

"Oh yeah? Tell me how Doctor Cupid," I tease, playfully punching him in the arm. I actually do want to know he figured it out.

It better not be from practice.

"When I kissed you, your eyes lit up. You don't become that surprised when you've kissed someone before. Then, it took a while for you to give in, like you had to relax a bit first. After that, you just kept wanting more. I kind of have that effect on girls," he winks. I roll my eyes. "It was magnificent, actually."

I grin at him, resisting to pull our lips together to form the perfect smile. I know it's probably best not to mention it, but as my curious self, I do anyway. "You and Megan?"

"What about me and Megan?" he questions.

I respond, "you guys a... Thing?"

He kind of gags at the thought. "God, no! Meg's amazing and all, but we're not like that. Anyway, I like you. Speaking of my major crush on you, can you answer my question?"

"What ques-," I remember this morning he had asked me out. I never got the chance to reply, and now I do. God, this is going to be exceedingly difficult. "I'm sorry, Ash, but... No. I'm seventeen, and I have to focus on my studies. You would only be a distraction."

My voice is stern and mom-like. I want him to hate me, so this pain of not being able to like him just go away.

Part of that was true. I truly do want to focus on school, but if I had a choice I would have chosen him. I don't have a say in this, really. I can't risk losing Megan for Asher, even if it does mean turning down my chances for a real relationship.

To be honest, I'm not even sure why I'm doing this for Meg. She just embarrassed me in front of the entire school, so how should I know if this is all worth it?

"But, but why?" he asks. "I-I thought you-."

"You thought wrong. I'm not going to date a guy I've known for a week! Just please, respect my decision," I shake my head.

God, that hurt. I clench my chest with my fist, trying hard not to show any real emotion.

"Fine. I'll just leave you alone then," he says, standing up and walking away.

"Wait, Ash! I didn't mean," I stop. He already left me with this empty hallway.

Why was he so angry? There are so many other girls out there who would give anything to date him.

Why choose me?

Next chapter will include a new POV, and will also show some of their past. Who do you think will be narrating it? What will their past say? Will Asher and Jules ever become friends again?