Chapter 11: This Means War

Chapter 11 This Means War

Megan Green

I WAVE TO KAYLA AND JULES goodbye as they leave the crowded store. As soon as I see them step out of the shop, I grab the dress Jules' was wearing, and run to the counter. I slap my credit card onto the desk, smiling like a retarded dandelion.

Before I get home, I stop by Jules' house. I zoom into her frontyard, the wind blowing on my back. I place a hot pink shopping bag (which includes her dress) onto her doorstep. A smile curves up on the corner of my lip, I can't help but feel good about this. I know, it's as if I'm teaching bratty five year olds that 'doing good things give you good things'.

* * *

I feel warm hands cradle around my eyes softly, turning the room a pitch black color. I giggle slightly, knowing what mysterious figure laid behind me.

"Ash?" I smile, turning around but only to see disappoint reach my eyes.

West stands there behind me, scratching the back of his neck. The stem of a boldy colored rose wraps around his fingers, his bright eyes beaming with contentment. Though his adam's apple bobbing leads me to think he's quite apprehensive.

I question, "what're you doing?"

"Megan Elizabeth Green," he clears his throat, making it hilariously deep. "Will you go to the dance with me?"

My eyes widen with astonishment. Did he just ask me to the dance? My childhood best friend? I don't know what to say, or do. All I know is that I was definetely not anticipating this.

"Gee, Meg," he laughs, "We're only going out as friends!"

I let out a big sigh of relief. If I found out that West even had the tiniest bit of interest in me, I would explode with a billion different emotions. I never thought that way of him, and I'm absolutely positive he only sees me as a friend. Or at least, that's what I think.

Even so, I'm still not sure if I should say yes. What if Asher was planning to ask me, and because of West, he doesn't have a chance? What if people spread rumours that we're dating, and that will ruin my chances with Asher forever? I glance at Asher and Jules, who walk together to the lunchroom. Bombs of rage and envy burst in my stomach.

"Yes," I reply. "I will go the dance with you."

That'll show him.

* * *

School is over, and yet Asher didn't even communicate with me about the dance. The entire time he was chatting away with Jules. I secure the strap of my bag onto my shoulder when suddenly, I feel a hand tug on my arm, making me collide with the hard cement and fall on my butt.

"What the heck is wrong with-," I get interrupted by the unpleasant taste of Kay's hand covering my mouth. I try to stand up, but her firm grip thinks otherwise. Although this is Kay who's doing this to me and not some strange hippie, I still want to know why we're hiding behind a freakin' bush!

"Would you be quiet?" she scolds.

I slap her hand away from my mouth, "not until you tell me what's going on!"

"Ugh," she groans, pointing at a tall figure talking to a girl. "That's Jules and Asher over there. I think something's going on with them."

"And so you're eavesdropping on them? Kay, this is not the way we treat our friends. Maybe you want to do this, but-," I pause as I see Asher hand a million pink balloons to Jules.

"Yes, Asher. I will go to the dance with you!" Jules smiles as she gives him a tight hug.

Kay gives me a sad look. My head feels piping hot, and my eyes start to tear up. I know that it's useless to cry, but I just can't help it. Asher and I have been close ever since kindergarten. Jules just came to this school, and he already loves her!

I sniffle, "I-I... I'm sorry."

Before Kay has a chance to change my mind, I run away crying to the corner of the street, waiting for Rick to come to my rescue.

By the time we reach my house, my tears eventually dried up and disappeared. Little did I know that they would come running back to me.

"What do you mean you're leaving?" I shake my head.

Olivia frowns, "Meg, I've been wanting to tell you this for a long time, but I just didn't have the guts to do it. You know it's my dream to become a nurse, and I've been living with you guys for nearly ten years already. It's my time to go."

"But no! You can't leave, you're the only person that understands me! It's why I look forward to every morning because you're there to comfort me. I have nobody, you're my best friend. You're like my sister!" I cry. "Why can't you go to a college near us? Why do you have to go all the way across the country?"

"I'm sorry, Meg. But the college near us isn't good enough. I've been saving up my money to go to a better school, I just never told you. Plus, it's next to my family. I haven't contacted them in years. This is the only university that will accept a twenty-eight year old woman."

I cradle my face with my hands, sobbing. First I lose Asher, now Olivia? My world's tearing apart! No, I'm not going to lose Asher. I'm not going to let Jules take him away from me.

This means war.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Sorry this is super short! I wanted to so badly work on the next chapter, which I'm going to make really super long!!! So put on your dance shoes, people! Were going to the dance! :D