Chapter 20

It's Christmas morning. I get up and walk down to the living room. Lincoln is up as well he is sitting on the couch waiting for our parents. They come down and we sit on the floor wait for my dad to grab the stockings. For the past few years Christmas has just been about going through the motions so we can tell people we had a nice day. I give it another hour and someone if fighting. I got a decent about of candy but my mom takes it and puts it in a bag telling us we are not responsible enough to have self control and not eat it all. My mom also got me makeup. I roll my eyes, she has been doing this for the past three years. I fake a smile and put it in a pile. I will figure out what to do with it later. In the stocking was also a gas card. I am actually happy about that one. After the stockings my dad hands out presents. I got a few shirts, a board game, and a few books. They always save the biggest ones for last. I start opening the last one its a new laptop. Wow, I didn't think I would actually get one. I needed it especially for college in a year and a half. We clean up and my mom starts making breakfast. I run up to my room to put everything away and make sure it is clean because the last thing I want today is to get yelled at. I catch glimpse at the envelope from Abby I will open it later when I know I won't be bothered. I took my phone of the charger and text Clarke "Merry Christmas."

I walk back down the stairs taking a seat at the table. I eat quickly. We have family coming over in two  hours. My parents make us clean the house for the third time this week. I run upstairs to change into jeans and a sweater. I also put on the watch Clarke gave me.  When I come back down my mom heads up to do a room check. I greet my grandparents at the door. They are my moms parents and  crazy as hell. Luckily, Uncle Henry comes in the room not a moment later.

"Hey ugly" I say as I flip the hat off his head.

"Hey kid" He flicks me in the ear then hugs me.. 

"What's new with you? You got a girl yet." I always joke about that with him. He has two kids from two past relationships. They are the only cousins I'm allowed to talk to but they rarely come around. He hasn't had a relationship for a while now so I like to poke fun at him.

"Haha funny. Speaking of girls how is yours?"

"What are you talking about?" I say really confused.

"Come on stupid. I saw the whole leg toughing thing at Thanksgiving. No one else did but I can tell when someone if putting the moves on someone. " My face turns bright red. I look around and no one is in the room anymore so no one could have heard. "Relax I'm not telling anyone. I'm just glad someone listen when I was trying to teach your brother how to pick up girls."

"So you have known this whole time and said nothing. It's been over a month." I sit down on the couch.

"Didn't really find a reason to bring it up. Plus, your parents are always around." I nod at that and he sits beside me. "So what did you get her for Christmas?"

I pull out my phone and show him a picture of all the stuff. We continue to talk about her for a bit but more people start entering the living room. The conversation changes to sports. Henry and my dad get into a heated debate over the college basketball standings. I chime in at random points mainly that agree with Henry. Before we know it my mother is calling us for food. After eating we open a few presents, mostly gift cards and cash, and people start leaving. Henry is last to go once everything is cleaned up. It is nearly nine now. Where did the day go?  I finally go upstairs to my room. I go to grab the letter but it is not where I saw it. I look around the room trying to figure out where I put it.

"Looking for this?" My mom is holding an open envelope in her hand. "Or these?" Its golf stuff Clarke got me.

"It's" I try to speak but before I can finish a hand connects with my face hard.