Bellona

Reyna's POV

"Well this is certainly a surprise," I grumbled. "Actually, it's more like a miracle."

"Don't seem so angry," Bellona sighed, her head tilting to the side as she observed me, our classic family trait showing itself again. The bronze hound whimpered and scampered over nuzzling my hand but I pushed it aside.

"So this is where you've been hiding all these years? A hole in the middle of Alaska?" I gestured to our surroundings with clear distaste.

"Ah, so that's where we are today." Her dark eyes flicked up to the the ceiling as if she could see through the stone and earth.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I demanded, resting the end of my sword on the floor and leaning against it. I didn't let my glare falter.

"This shrine is a piece of the labyrinth. It moves all across the United States. An impressive piece of work," She mused, her slight smile reminding me painfully of Hylla.

"Then I must go. My friends will worry if I'm suddenly in Texas or something. Peace out." I turned towards the exit and made my way towards it.

"You know for someone who waited for this moment for so long you're leaving rather quickly." I turned at her words and she must have noted the stiffening of my posture because she sighed.

"How would you know?" I asked not sparing her another glance. A glint of light caught on my ring and suddenly I understood. "Don't you dare read my emotions."

"It's a habit." Came the reply.

"Really? Then explain your silence for the past decade or two." This time I turned to face her wanting to judge her reaction. She'd made her way carefully over to the fountain and sat on its edge. Aes, the bronze greyhound sat next to her its beady red eyes trained on me.

"You should understand. You've come to the conclusion yourself on multiple occasions." My hands twitched in agitation at her placide and calm demeanor. "I hardly exist anymore. My presence is only strong within these walls. If I were to leave I would hardly be a flicker of a shape."

"You can't fade. You're the goddess of war." The words left my mouth leaving a bitter and bland taste.

"Every god can fade as soon as people refuse to believe they exist. It's even more damaging when your children don't believe in you." Her eyes took on an almost saddened look but I couldn't bring myself to find pity for her.

"I believed in you once," I shrugged, as if it were that simple but I couldn't explain the rollercoaster of emotions I'd faced regarding her existence. "But when you're nearly dead and you pray for your Mother's help and she doesn't answer faith tends to disappear."

"You can't possibly believe that I didn't wish to help you?" Her eyes widened slightly in surprise.

"I don't believe it. I know it." My eyes settled on the ground and I imagined the weeds growing between the stones shriveling and dying beneath my gaze.

"Gods cannot interfere with the course of events. You know that." She laughed awkwardly.

"I used to believe that too. Until they decided it was a dumb rule. The gods have fought by our side on more than one occasion. Protected their children, aided them in times of need, told them they were loved, and cared!" I couldn't help but let part of my anger seep into my words.

"I care about you. I love you," she insisted. I didn't bother to meet her gaze.

"If you loved me, then why'd you leave me?" I whispered. For once there was no response. "Do you have any idea what I've been through due to your absence?"