Chapter 3

Just wanted to give a quick shout out to lztimelight for being the first person to add this story to his/her reading list, thank you. And to everyone please comment so I know what you like and don't like so I can improve.

Tracy entered the professors lab, went straight to the coffee maker and started a pot, which got Professor Oak's attention. "How's he doing?" Tracy looked back with a small smile, "Well he ate all the food I gave him for breakfast and then said he was going for a walk. I guess the letter helped." It's been two days since the funeral and yesterday was the reading of the will. Delia had entrusted professor Oak as the executor of the will, so when the time came he performed his duty. The reading was no surprise, everything was left to Ash, including Mimey. Now Mimey was Ash's Pokemon, so he could use him in battles now, however he was going to let that be Mimey's choice if he was to be trained for that. Professor Oak also handed Ash a sealed envelope, in it was a letter from Delia to be given to Ash upon her death. Professor Oak gave Ash some privacy to read the letter, when he came back he was drying his tears, but also seemed a little happier. No one wanted to ask what the letter said, they agreed if Ash wanted them to see it he would let them.

Ash was walking down route one with Pikachu on his shoulder thinking about everything, his journeys so far, his pokemon, himself, his dream, and the letter his mother left him. He never believed simple words could make anyone feel better after such a loss, but it did. Not completely better, but enough for him to feel like there was hope that things would get better for him, and little did he know but they were just about to.

Ash just turned around to head back to the lab when a shadow appeared on the ground beneath him. He looked up and saw a large bird type flying over head. No sooner that he saw it that it started to descend and land right in front of him. It was a Pidgeot looking at him with a happy expression. Ash stared at it for a moment then it hit him, "No way, you were my Pidgeot weren't you?" The Pidgeot nodded. Ash was so happy to see his old Pokemon again, he ran over and gave it a hug, which was returned. After they broke the hug Ash spoke, "I'm so happy to see you again, are you still protecting the flock of pidgey?" Pidgeot shook his head happily. "You beat that Fearow once and for all?" Pidgeot nodded and pointed to a pokeball on Ash's belt. Ash thought for a second,"are you saying a trainer caught it after you beat it?" The bird nodded, then pointed to Ash's poke balls again. "Are you saying you want to come back?" Ash received a happy cry as a response. Ash smiled and pulled out an empty pokeball, "Welcome back to the family." With that Pidgeot was sucked into the ball which dinged almost instantly. Ash then started back to the lab again feeling a little better.

Back at the lab, three calls came for Ash. First from an officer Jenny, second a trainer named Anthony, and last was Sabrina the gym leader from Saffron city. With all these calls ending with the transfer of a pokeball.

Upon Ash's return everyone could tell he was looking a little happier. When they asked Ash filled them in. After he was done telling his story, he felt a tap on his shoulder. When he turned around he saw a set of bulging eyes and a tongue sticking out, which scared him causing him to fall down. When he looked up he saw none other than a laughing Gengar, before he could respond to the Gengar he was tackled into a hug from a squirtle and primape, even Gengar joined in. Ash was confused at first, but was soon hit with a realization, "You were all my Pokemon." They all nodded happliy, Gengar then handed Ash a letter from Sabrina. In the letter she offered her condolences and explained how Haunter evolved into Gengar and that he wanted to rejoin him as soon as he heard about Delia. Both squirtle and Primape did there best to explain similar stories, which Ash was able to understand enough of to get the idea. They were all luckily able to make clear, that they were here to stay now.