"Hey mom, is Mimey ok?" Ash asked.

She got up and walked over to Ash and reponded, "I think Mimey is sick. After you eat your breakfast, could you bring him to professor Oak and see if there is anything he can do?"

"Sure, no problem." Ash replied.

With that Ash ate his breakfast so fast you would think it vanished into thin air if you weren't paying attention, grabbed Mimey's poke ball, and headed to professor oaks lab.

Ash made his way to the lab with his faithful partner sitting on his shoulder. As they walked they noticed the wind was picking up and heard a low rumble. They looked up and saw dark clouds rolling in.

"We better hurry buddy, looks like a storm is rolling in." Pikachu nodded, and with that they both took off running.

By the time they arrived at the lab the wind had started to blow even stronger. Ash knocked on the door and waited for someone to answer. When the door finally opened he saw a familiar face he was not expecting, as well as an unwelcome nickname.

"Hey there Ashy-boy."

There before him was none other than his friend and old rival Gary.

"What are you doing here Garbear?" Ash responded.

"Good to see you too Ashy-boy," responded Gary, as the friends shook hands and he motioned Ash inside.

"So Gary, I thought you were in Sinnoh working with professor Rowan?" Ash inquired.

"I was, but Gramps convinced the professor to let me work for him so I could help him with his research instead. I actually just got back last night from some field work gramps sent me on in the Johto region," Gary answered.

They continued into the kitchen, where they found Professor Oak sitting at the table, drinking a cup of coffee, and doing the crossword puzzles in the Kanto Observer, the leading newspaper in the Kanto region.

"Good morning professor." Ash greeted.

Ash waited for a response but got none. Ash and Gary both sighed, the professor loved his morning crossword puzzles. He would say it was a good way for him to warm up his brain before he started his work for the day. Unfourtnitly this also caused him to tune out the outside world for a little while.

The professor finally finished his puzzle and looked up to see Ash and Gary standing there looking at him shaking there heads.

"Ah good morning Ash, Gary. Is something wrong?" Asked the Professor.

Without skipping a beat Gary responded, "No, Acreus was just here saying he was going to let you study him for the day, but left since you wouldn't answer him."

Ash did his best not to laugh out loud, while Gary just smirked. Even though the Professor was old, his mind was still sharp as ever, so he responded quickly to the remark.

"Then why weren't you doing your job. You are my assistant now, you should have escorted him into the lab and began running tests," The professor responded.

Now it was the professors turn to smirk, and Ash bust our laughing unable to keep it in any more. The two Oaks started to laugh as well.

When they all calmed down the professor asked, "so Ash what can I do for you today?"

"Well Mimey looks like he's sick, and my mom was hoping you might be able to do something to help him," Ash replied.

Even though he wasn't a Pokémon doctor, he still knew quite a bit about Pokémon medicine.

"Of course Ash, just hand me his pokeball and I'll see what I can do," Professor Oak replied.

With that, Ash handed him the pokeball, and the professor headed to the lab to check Mimey out. Ash and Gary then both took a seat at the table and began sharing story's of their travels.

After about fourty-five minutes the professor returned with Mimey's poke ball and a small medicine bottle.

"Good news Ash it's nothing too bad, looks like just a cold. Have Mimey take one of these pills twice a day for two or three days, have him take it easy, drink plenty of fluids," Professor Oak instructed.

With that he handed Ash the pokeball and medicine.

"Thanks professor, well I better get going, my mom asked me to help with some yard work," Ash replied.

"I recommend against that for now, haven't you two noticed the weather?" Professor Oak commented.

Both Ash and Gary looked confused from the professors comment.

"What do you mean Professor?" Asked Ash.

"A storm rolled in, strong wind and lots of lightning, I saw a tree get struck while I was running tests on Mimey." Answered Professor Oak.

They went to look out a window, and it was just like the professor said, they even saw a bolt of lightning coming down at that very moment. They also noticed something else, smoke rising. Before anyone could make a comment about the smoke Tracey burst into the room.

"ASH HURRY, YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIRE!"