Chapter Thirty-Three

In this chapter, I will be switching between Newt and Y/N'S POV quite a lot so I will use the usual font for Y/N and italics for Newt.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

My eyes flicker open. Bright lights. I squint, and slowly come to see the hospital room.

Beep, beep, beep. The seemingly endlessly repeated sound coming from a machine nearby.

I attempt to sit up. This forces a searing pain through my side, causing me to quickly lay back again. I stare at the unfamiliar ceiling. Then it hits me.

I was hit by a car. Ouch. It felt like I'd been hit by a train it hurt so much.

My mind trails back further. Y/N, Hannah...  I don't know what to believe anymore.

The door opens, and I glance to the side.

A nurse enters, closely followed by a girl. It takes a second before I realise who it is...

"Lizzy," I mumble, forcing a small smile.

"Newt!" She bursts into tears, crouching beside me. "You're okay..."

The nurse smiles warmly to me, "Morning, sleepyhead."

I focus on Lizzy for the moment, "Yeah, I'm okay." I don't allow myself to wince as I move my hand over to her and pat her head comfortingly. Then I glance to the nurse, "How long..."

"Two weeks," She replies instantly, with a pitiful smile. "How do you feel?"

You weren't allowed to see him.

Minho and Thomas avoided you.

You had no way of knowing if he was okay.

He could've been dead for all you knew.

The only source of information you had was from the hospital, which you revisited frequently, and every time left them with your new number, pleading that they at least called you if anything happened.

RRRRRINGGGGGG.

You ignore it. Just staying where you are, laying face down on your bed.

RRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

The ringtone got more annoying. They didn't hang up; as if they didn't want to give up on you.

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

"Fine!" You shout into the pillow. Before realising how stupid you'd sound if anyone heard you.

You slowly sit up.

'Unknown Number'.

It's probably Gally or something, but you have to know for sure...

"Hello?" You ask tenderly.

"Is this Y/N?" A woman's voice that you don't recognise speaks.

"Y...yes, who is this?" Hope. Please. Please say he's okay.

"I'm calling from the hospital. I believe that you told us to ring you if anything happened to... Newton, is it?"

"Yes! Yes. What happened? Is he-"

"He has woken. His sister is with him... he's okay." Her voice softens as if trying to be comforting.

"Can I..."

"I'm afraid the answer is no... only family members can see him, and close friends that he has allowed. I'm sorry. If you want I can keep you updated on how he's doing, though."

"Would you?"

"Of course."

You smile a little, "Thank you..."

You lived for those phone calls. For months, you didn't let your phone leave your side, eagerly awaiting any update on how he was. She was incredibly kind. She kept her promise and phoned you whenever something happened - even if that thing was him being up to walk the short distance from his room to the canteen with a cane, before being wheeled back after eating. She didn't tell him she told you. You'd asked her not to.

Then one day you got the call that you'd been hoping for ever since he was injured...

"How are you feeling today, Newt?" My nurse asks with a warm smile. I'd learnt her name was Maria.

I smile back, "Much better, thanks."

Maria nods and picks up the tray that I'd eaten breakfast off of, glancing at me thoughtfully, "There's a girl that's really worried about you, you know. Not Lizzy. She has come back several times, asking after you. I think her name was..."

"Y/N..." I say quietly, biting my lip a little.

Maria smiles a little to herself, as if knowingly. "Yes, that was it. She seems a lovely girl, you know. Is she your..."

I sigh and look at the blanket, "I don't really know what we are anymore." Admitting it aloud made me miss her more.

"Well, maybe you should talk to her and straighten things out," Maria suggests. "It's better to get things out in the open."

"You think?" I ask quietly, looking up at her.

She nods, "That's what my husband and I agreed to do. If there is ever tension between us, instead of letting it build up and inevitably snapping at each other, we talk it out before it can escalate, and solve the problem together."

I nod thoughtfully, running a hand through my hair, and then make a decision. "Can... can you tell her next time she comes to visit me?" I say, my heart beating a little faster. I'm not used to facing my problems. I usually run away and hide from them.

Maria nods, "Of course. I'll tell her to come tomorrow. Okay?"

"Okay."

Maria smiles and turns, about to walk out.

"Maria... thanks," I smile to her gratefully.

She nods and smiles back, before exiting, carefully closing the door behind her, leaving me to think about what I'd just signed myself up for...