Chapter Twenty-Eight

By the time you get to the end of the day, Hannah has caused you to gain three detentions.
You run as soon as the bell goes. Going as fast as you possibly can to get away before Hannah can try to scare you any more. Unfortunately you only get outside and round the corner before feeling the sense of breathlessness, panting and slowing to a walk.
When you arrive home, you slam the door behind you and escape into your room, hiding underneath your blankets. Then you finally let the tears fall.
Your mum arrives home from work five minutes after you.
"Sweetheart, are you okay?" She calls through your door.
You quickly bury your head into the pillow to stifle your crying, "y-yeah." You manage a whisper.
She sighs, "bad day at school?"
"Bad? It was awful! I'm never going back! Hannah is ruining my life! I have three detentions because of her!" You rant then start crying again.
She manages to break open the door, and walks over sitting beside you and slipping her arm around your shoulders, "oh sweetheart."
You lean into her, then sob into her arm.
She rubs your back gently, patiently waiting for you to calm.
Soon your throat is hoarse and your eyes are dry.
"Tell me what happened." She murmured.
So you tell her. The story of the day.
Then the two of you go downstairs. She isn't mad about the detentions. You sit at the breakfast bar in the kitchen, and she makes you some hot chocolate.
You sip it gratefully, the pain in your throat vanishing.
"Sweetheart... I want to give you time off school but you need your education. You can't let this bully ruin your life. I'll sort it out." She told you gently.
"No!" If your mum gets involved, so many things could go wrong. It'd get worse, everybody would tease you for going crying to your mum.
Then the doorbell rings.
"I'll go get that. Wait here baby," She says softly and exits the room.
You hear her open the door as you rest your head on the table sadly.
She chats to someone, but sounds happier.
"Y/N, it's for you." She calls after a minute.
You sigh, and slide out of your seat, trudging to the front door and hoping your tear stains weren't too obvious.
To your surprise, stood outside your door is Newt. You smile meekly, "hey."
He doesn't hesitate to hug you tightly. His strong arms calm you further, and you fit between them like a perfect puzzle piece. You nestle against his chest.
Your mum leaves to give the two of you some time.
Newts slightly taller. You've only just realised that, really. You look up and his brown eyes lock onto your (colour) ones. Suddenly he bends down so your faces are only millimetres apart, and you can feel your heart speedening.
Then he kisses you. Your lips meet softly, the kiss gentle and comforting. Your eyes close wistfully, and you wrap your arms around his shoulders standing on your tiptoes. The kiss feels like magic, sparks of love keeping  the two of you embraced.
Then he pulls away, and you gaze at him longingly.
"I love you." The words escape your lips shyly.
He smiles.
"I love you too."
The night following is amazing. He waits for you in the living room with your mum as you quickly get changed into something nicer and brush your hair and apply some makeup to hide the red cheeks.
Then he takes you to dinner in a posh restaurant , lets you choose what you want. He pays, after a lovely meal, then takes your hand and leads you to a really big park and up a hill.
You watch the sunset together, hands locked and sharing a kiss.
Finally, he drives you home at midnight.
"Goodbye girlfriend." He smiles softly as he pulled up outside your home.
Happiness has taken over. It's like Hannah doesn't even exist anymore.
"Thank you for an amazing night, Newt." You whisper, gazing at him again.
"It's my pleasure." He replies with a gentlemanly smile and kissing your hand.

You watch his car drive away, waving, until it disappeared around a corner.