Chapter Nine

You immediately shove through the crowd and run after her, and she runs too. You slowly gain speed, as you are faster than she is. She looked over her shoulder and realises this, so she ran into the nearby toilets. You run in, just in time to see her drop your phone in the toilet and flush the chain. Tears burn in your eyes.

"My dad gave that to me." You say fiercely.

"Then get him to buy you a new one." She sneers back.

"He's dead." You mutter in reply then turn and run out, tears streaming down your cheeks. You don't know where you're running, but you just run. Several worried looking teachers tried to stop you but you run past. You run out onto the school field, run to the very back of the grass, as far away from the building as possible, and collapse beneath an oak tree.

Then you sob miserably. You know it's probably registration now but you don't care.

The truth is, that phone was the last thing your dad ever gave to you. He gave it to you on your last birthday. He had died later on that day, in the house fire. At first you had been too scared to use it, even take it out of its box. You didn't want to break it.

Your mum finally persuaded you to use it when you had arrived in America.

Now it was gone. That thought just made you cry harder.

Soon you look up to see Jess approaching. You turn away, not wanting her to see your tears.

Jessica sits next to you and puts her arm around you. "It's okay Y/N. Let the tears come," She murmurs, pulling you into a hug.

Feeling too sad to not cry any longer, you cry on her shoulder for a bit. Soon your tears run dry and your throat is burning from soreness.

"Everyone told me what happened," She murmurs. "You shouldn't be embarrassed about it."

"Why w...would I feel embarrassed?"

"She got what she deserved, that's the main thing," She continues.

"Huh?" You frown.

Jessica looks at your frown in confusion. "You stole her phone and then threw it down the toilet, didn't you?"

"No!" You gasp. "Of course not. She stole my phone and threw it down the toilet!"

Jessica turns pale. "She and her friends told everyone who wasn't there it was the other way around. The teacher sent me out here to get you... He didn't look very happy."

QOTD: If you could teach ANYTHING (and I mean anything), what would you teach?